Erratic 5V values in Sempron-64 system

paugie

Storage is cool
Hi, posted this in another thread, but I thought my question about erratic 5V values needs to be on this section:

My current rig. proc/mobo/PSU are new
Sempron-64 2600+ (default 1,600Mhz but running now @ 2,443Mhz, which is a 53% overclock - NEW
Gigabyte K8NS, NForce3-250 mobo - NEW
2x512Mb TwinMos DDR400 4 months old
Samsung SP0802N 80Gb 7200RPM 1 year old
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80Gb 7200RPM, 3 years old
NEC 3540 DVD-RW 3 months old
Turtle Beach Sta. Cruz 1-1/2 year with me, purchased 2nd hand
Promise Ultra-66 IDE controller very old, purchased 2nd hand
TASK 350watt Power Supply Unit - NEW
Pinnacle Video Capture card (borrowed)

The processor is running @ default voltage but my mems are on a 1.5 divider.
I've heard of people running the same processor at 2,700Mhz albeit at higher V-Core.
I plan to find the highest stable speed for this processor (Prime95 and OCCT stability tests) and keep it at that.

One thing disturbs me, though. The system is stable. i.e. no errors, blue screens.
12V and 3.3V rock solid per software monitoring.
BUT, the 5V values are all over the place.
They range from 2.6 to 5.2V.
I've emailed TASK but no reply, as yet.

2005-11-30-03h13-Volt5.gif

Speedfan5Vmonitoring01.gif

The erratic 5V are exhibited on a much lower overclock. I haven't tested on default.

comments/advice please. thanks

paugie

Storage is cool
I'm going to need another project to do that. :eek:

ok. let's say I target that. but i'm going to need 3-4 days. what damage would those bad voltages do to my system?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Probably not a whole lot. You wouldn't be the first person to have a crappy, generic PSU that needed to be replaced.

paugie

Storage is cool
Hi,
Looks like it's the software. Before I went to the shop to have the PSU replaced, I tried it on an older rig and tested it using the same measuring software and torture test. The 5V values stayed between 5.10 and 5.15 the whole time.

Maybe people haven't been able to make monitoring software to properly read off the new chip of this motherboard. And I noticed that even the monitoring software Gigabyte bundled with the mobo does not show values for 5V.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Is this other system similar to the one showing problems?

If you don't ask a crappy PSU to do much, then it might be able to do pretty well. Heck, if you ask a nice PSU to do a lot, then it might look crappy!