Error 1935

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Client with Windows 7 SP1 64-bit is trying to install some software that needs to install Visual C++ 2005 and Visual C++ 2008 SP1 redistributables in both x86 and x64 versions. VC2008 fails with:

Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.ATL,version= "9.0.30729.1",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86,type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT:0x80070005.

VC2005 is the same only it's VC.80 etc.

This thread is an example, although the actual software product is different. We can reproduce the error by downloading the files direct from M$ and trying to launch them directly.

Nothing we've tried seems to make any difference. This type of error appears to have been around for years; I'm wondering if it's some sort of weird rights problem trying to run the cab file self-extractor, although we've obviously tried running as administrator.

Help?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm suspicious that this has something to do with C drive being created by an imaging program, specifically CMS Bounceback. That is, I think it was cloned from an original Windows installation on a different drive. So I'm wondering if there might be something screwy with either folder or registry rights. If so, then perhaps I can fix it with TAKEOWN?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've not seen this precise issue, but I had something very similar happen on several systems where the .NET updater would fail repeatedly due to some nebulous combination of issues with the Windows installer database and the order in which some programs had been installed prior to imaging the system for deployment in the first place. Even when I unspooled things as carefully as I could with Revo uninstaller and did as many updates as I could manually, I couldn't get everything back in order.

On the machines that were impacted, I really wound up reinstalling Windows and starting over with a fresh image that already included the updates I needed.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Do you mean a compatibility dialog? Possibly. I can't be clearer because so far I've done all this over the phone. :(

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
time, in the link you provided they pointed to a deeper issue with their machine. Sounded like the button under the new add/remove programs.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Funny you should mention this

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=22503

..."To wrap this up let me summarize what I've learned:

• A small number of users are unable to install Microsoft Office due to a persistent .NET Framework 4 corruption issue in Windows 7. It is unclear exactly how many users are affected -- it's clearly not the majority, but it's also clear that it's more than just 1 or 2 (remember also there's millions of MSO users).
  • Microsoft has known about this problem for over a year and has thus far been unable to fix it.
  • The only solution at this point is a clean install of Windows. In some cases repair installations and other tricks will not solve the underlying problem.
  • The problem makes users unable to install Internet Explorer 9 and Microsoft Office.
  • The problem affects users with a variety of hardware configurations (HP, Dell, Apple, etc.) and a variety of operating system versions (from Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit to my own Windows 7 Professional 64-bit)."...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
SOLVED

This problem may have been due to a disk image recovery with Bounceback or even damage from an antivirus disinfection. However ...

The original install was Windows 7 without any Service Pack; SP1 was downloaded and installed later. I performed an inplace upgrade with a Windows 7 SP1 disc (i.e. a repair), including latest online updates. In the later part of the process, the installer reported that the .Net v4 framework was damaged, and that it would correct it - might be a red herring, but who knows?

Anyway, everything is now sweet as. So I'd give a thumbs up to Windows 7 upgrade-repair.