Euthanize my fish

Handruin

Administrator
Strange topic, but I'm fairly depressed right now. My diamond tetra has lost all his coordination and I've read at this point it is best to euthanize him. We move him to an isolation tank two days ago in order to keep whatever he had from spreading, but we were not able to help. Out of the recommended ways to euthanize, I've decided to freeze him. :cry: Our last fish suffered too long while we tried to help, and I don't want this one to suffer the same fate.

Handruin

Administrator
I put a cup of water in the freezer with ice in it for about 15 minutes. Once the top froze over I put the poor fellow inside the cup and he didn't squirm much. I felt really bad doing this, but I know it was for the better.

The other ways I read where to smack the fish's head fast and hard on a solid object...that was a bit to much for me. Flushing down the toilet is a mean way of ending their life. I believe they suffer the most doing it that way.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Never, ever flush a fish down the toilet. It is probably cruel to the fish, which is a bad thing, but the really bad thing is that this how feral species get established in a new range. It's the worst possible thing you can do.

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
Sorry to hear about that Doug. What you did is the best way. Smacking it on the head sounds like a fisherman doing to it to his catch but since your fish has been with you for while, it just would not feel right.

Handruin

Administrator
It would have also scared me to not have done it right the first time. If I tried to smack it's head and not been able to kill it, that would have been terrible. :(

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I don't buy that shit. I've had fish with swim bladder problems live for better then a year.

I've had deformed fish live a long, and healthy life, upside down.

I NEVER put a fish down. They may recover, they may not. Let nature run it's course. I deal with kids on a daily basis that some are very close to what you are talking about. We don't put them down, and, they smile, laugh, even if they can't move their arms and legs, and barely their hands. Is it sad? Yes, but respect the will of the Lord, and let them live thier lives out.

I've had bad luck with quarintine tanks, since you are taking a fish out of a comfortable environment, and putting it in a new one, and change is stress.

Unless I'm REALLY sure what they have is communicable, I let them stay in the original tank. Tetras are really tough fish, as a general rule.
I would have given them a chance to recover, or, die.

I recently had a child nearly cut his finger off in our door. He had no pain.
Simply put, he senses pain, and tastes, differently then I do. What you precieve as pain and misery, may very well not be the case.

Remember, my cat, who has a way better sense of smell then I do, eats live insects, and loves to lick her ass.
:wink:

Now why do people put their perceptions onto fish, etc?

I have had one cory cat, named upside down grumpster, who lived over a year, in a small tank, on his side, or upside down, much of the time.
He couldn't compete with the other fish in the big tank, but, in our 20 gallon breeding tank, he was happy as a clam, eating, and living, with all the baby fish I hatch, and grow. He died, but, that's a years life not deprived.
He also did not infect anyone else.
s