Exquisite Corpse

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
At the height of the surrealist movement in art, there was a parlour game played by young participants in the movement called "Exquisite Corpse".

The idea was that each partygoer contributed a few lines to a story after reading only the previous contirubtor's entry, then, at the end of the night, the whole piece was read aloud, with all the disjointed contributions making some kind of odd, non-sequitor piece.

Anyone want to try it here, either as PMs or just posts to this thread?

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
PMs would work better as far as not knowing the previous bits of the story but the messages would have to have a numbering scheme in order to reassemble them.

That said, I'm in. How many sentences would be expected?

Mercutio

Your order will be based on your reply here, then. You can start, and I can go second, or the other way around.

Handruin

Administrator
I'd like to try try. :) We could do it here. Make it a sticky or something. Wouldn't PM's be a pain?

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Handruin said:
I'd like to try try. :) We could do it here. Make it a sticky or something. Wouldn't PM's be a pain?

You are not supposed to know any more than the single part precending yours correct.

PS I'm leaving for a few hours so I'll have to pik it up when I get back.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Handruin said:
Wouldn't PM's be a pain?

Not necessarily. Let's say Merc starts. He would write something up and then label it as part 1. He then sends it to me. I read it and then send you my part labeled as part 2. At some point I would also send my part to the designated re-assembler who orders the story according to parts and posts it in its entirety.

The only thing left to do is to number off participants.

I will designate myself as originator, re-assembler and master of numbering, if no one objects. I will number participants according to a scheme of my choosing. Until the story is finished you will only know who the person in front and behind is.

I'd like to get 8 people to start. That means three more people. More can join even after it is started. Identify yourself as a participant in this thread.

Per participant, I would like to see a minimum of ten sentences and two decisions made and the introduction of a new color.

Mercutio

Well, it's my idea. Of course I'm in. I thought it might be an interesting alternative to a slow weekend of minimal numbers of posts.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm not really interested in getting in on this one. But, I was wondering if the entire story would be posted after it is complete?

I would be interested in reading it.

Mercutio

I don't see why not.

I suppose the game won't be much fun if the story isn't posted at the end. Hopefully it'll be something readable. :)

Mercutio

Hurry up and get started or I will, Cliptin. I'm bored today. Waiting on FedEx idiot. Can't leave the apartment, 'cause that exactly when he'll come.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Hey Guys maybe I shouldn't play after all since I'm going out of town next Tuesday and will not return until Sunday the 19th.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Jake the Dog said:
count me in....

You've made the day Jake. We have seven now. Don't worry about it flagreen we are not in a hurry. You can not rush the creative mind!

Take your time we are in no hurry. You will recieve a PM from the person before you so you have something to work with. I will let you you know in a seperate PM who will follow you.

Handruin

Administrator
Ok, so when you say add a few lines to the single line that will be sent to me. Is a good estimate 3-4 lines, or are we trying for a longer story?

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Again, even though it has already started everyone who is not already is encouraged to participate.

The more people with the widest variety of past experiences makes the best story.

You know you want to timwhit.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Too many finals to study for. I have enough to write for history of American Business already. Plus I don't feel very creative right now.

I'll get in next time.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Handruin said:
Ok, so when you say add a few lines to the single line that will be sent to me. Is a good estimate 3-4 lines, or are we trying for a longer story?

Since we have so few people and to provide some guidelines for those might need help being creative (that would be me), I had suggested:
Per participant, I would like to see a minimum of ten sentences and two decisions made and the introduction of a new color.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
flagreen said:
I had my turn last weekend. Then I passed it on to Tea.
Don't forget to cc your part to me for compilation. Maybe I should have specified an upper limit to the contribution for Tea\Tannin. Otherwise, we might get the great novel in a single part. :wink:

BTW, when I compile it and first post it I'm going to let you guys try to guess who wrote which parts. Which means I'll not label the parts. I'll post again later with labels.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Sorry but I forgot to cc you Clipton. I did not keep a copy for myself. When the story is finished I'll point out my part to you if it isn't painfully obvious already.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Cliptin said:
flagreen,

If you used a PM, check sentbox area in the PM screen.
Good thinking Clip. I guess that's why you're #1! I found it and sent a copy to your PM.

Thanks!

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Mercutio said:
What ever happened to this?

It is stalled with Tea. I considered bypassing except that it would again become stalled with Tannin. Oh, and I got distracted. I still hesitate to bypass because of the creative input T brings and it shortens the list to only 5 entries. T, I'll give you a week and then we need to move on. Or say the word and we'll move on now.