Fan placement and drive cage question

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
What's your advice regarding these two questions?

I've used the X15 in my main computer for some time, and the sound from it really started to bug me. I then tried to remove the drive from the drive cage (Antec 1240 case, Nexus 300W PS) and put it on top of some sound absorbing pieces at the bottom of the cage, and that finally got most of the irritating sound removed! Now I'm much happier with the sound levels from the computer! (It's got a Barton 2800+ in it, SLK-800 with a Y.S. Tech super silent fan working at 9.5V).

I'll probably have to put a fan in the front or at the back of the case, as the PS is putting out some very hot air, and is therefore a bit high on the noise level. Any good advice on where to place the fan? I was thinking about putting the fan blowing in at the back of the case (remembering some good results from one of the articles at silentpcreview regarding the PS noise level when doing this).

I might try suspending the drive in a 5.25" slot next. I also thought about putting the drive back in the drive cage with a fan, and putting some sound absorbing mat around it, and the placing it at the bottom of the cage on top of some SA mat, therefore keeping the drive cooler. But i'll check the temperature of the drive in a few days (24/7 system) and see if it feels too hot to me. Anyone done this? What kind of results have you had?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Antec makes a kit to help with noise reduction. The kit contains a rubber like material to mount fans and power supply with. These are pre-cut. It also contains longer mounting screws with rubber washers. Basically this kit isolates the fans and power supply from the case.

Bozo :mrgrn:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
just about all 80mm fans will run at the same noise level when ran at the same rpm level...

which is why I'd advocat getting a low rpm fan... like 1500/2000rpm in the 1st place.