Fantasy Series

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I've been reading quite a few fantasy series lately. I figured someone might be interested. Here's what I've read recently and few brief thoughts:

The First Law Trilogy - This is the best trilogy I've read in a while. Great characters and an interesting plot, very hard to put down. I also read the three standalone books in the same universe. These were all good, just not quite as good as the trilogy.

The Chronicles of Amber - The first five books were entertaining. The second five were not worth reading. The conclusion of the entire second story arc was about 2 pages long. After reading hundreds of pages, this was a bit of a let down. I was glad to be done so I could move on to something better.

The Night Angel Trilogy - Entertaining, but not terribly deep and a bit sophmoric.

Riyria Revelations - A fun, easy read. Good characters and a good ending.

The Farseer Trilogy - It's been awhile since I read this, but as I remember it the first two books were really solid. The third was a bit of a letdown. I would still recommend it though.

The Kingkiller Chronicle - Only two out of three books have been release. The first two were great, but I really should learn not to start a series until all the books have come out.

Mistborn - Interesting magic system and an enjoyable read. The writing was a bit juvenile, but from what I've read the author is improving.

I'm currently reading The Belgariad, but I'm always looking for a new book or series. Anyone have other series they liked?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I gave the Belgariad and Mallorean books to Nitsirk a few years ago as a birthday present. She loved them.

Tad Williams' "Memory, Sorrow, Thorn" books are excellent. The first in the series is called The Dragonbone Chair.
I don't see Raymond Feist on this list either. His "Empire" books are worth picking up. He also wrote a very well-received video game called Betrayal at Krondor that was set in that universe.
I think they're trashy as hell but I know enough people who love the R.A. Salvatore "Dark Elf" books that they do bear mention. The first novel in that sequence is called "Streams of Silver."
Pratchett's Discworld. The first book is "The Color of Magic" but after that you can almost pick up any book in the series and read it. They're quick to read and completely charming.
Brian Jacques wrote fantasy novels about intelligent mice, the first being "Redwall". I loved them as a younger person and I've been meaning to go back for a while.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried to read the first Discworld book a couple years ago, but couldn't get into it. Which series would you say is best?

Have you read all the series I listed above?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I read the hell out of the Amber books when I was about 11. I read more science fiction and urban fantasy rather than high fantasy, mostly because a lot of series (e.g. the Shanarra series) are really just an excuse to see how much Tolkein they can steal without being called on it.

I also had a hard time getting started on the Discworld books, but once I found a groove I was able to read them very quickly. I think I got through ~40 books in a couple months.

I've still never finished the fourth "Song of Fire and Ice" book. I've probably started it four times over the last five years. I'm a huge, huge fan of George RR Martin's "Wild Cards" super-hero anthologies though.

One of my favorite things to read online - I read it on my phone when I'm waiting in lines or just have a few minutes of down time - is the SCP Wiki. It's a sort of web original shared meta-fiction about a shadowy organization tasked with studying and containing paranormal objects and phenomenal occurrences. Each individual article is short. Most of them are concentrated on some or other form of horror (SCP-231 is very possibly the most vile concept I've ever read), but some of them are quite funny or compelling. I've finished about 85% of the entries over the last year and I have to say I'm a big fan of the whole project.