Favorite Quotes

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
"[The] President . . . is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation's armed forces about how long they will be away from home."
---Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA)

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sechs: you forgot to clarify. IIRC, this comment was made at Clinton during the Bosnia/Serbia et al timeframe.

Several other Repubs and Repub leaders made similar comments then. Now nobody, including the testicle-less Dems, is saying anything.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy."
---Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of George W Bush

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."
-Governor George W Bush (R-TX)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
"The Internal Revenue Service has expanded relief for taxpayers in the Presidential Disaster Areas...."

-- IRS Digital Dispatch, Sep. 2, 2005

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
"I don't want to see anybody do anymore goddamn press conferences. Put a moratorium on press conferences. Don't do another press conference until the resources are in this city. And then come down to this city and stand with us when there are military trucks and troops that we can't even count. Don't tell me 40,000 people are coming here. They're not here. It's too doggone late. Now get off your asses and do something...."

-- Ray Nagin, Mayor of New Orleans, Louisiana, Sep. 1, 2005

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
You'll like this one, Mercutio (for some reason I always want to write, "Merky Baby," just like TC used to refer to Higgins as "Higgy Baby," in Magnum P.I.):

EDITORS' NOTE: A mistake made by a transcription service mangled a quotation from William Bennett in Michael Kelly's July 17th Letter from Washington. In criticizing the political views of Patrick Buchanan, Mr. Bennett said "it's a real us-and-them kind of thing," not, as we reported, "it's a real S & M kind of thing."

The New Yorker, August 14th, 1995

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
bars.jpg

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
"Technology has the shelf life of a banana. Everything you buy from us, Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, or anybody is going to be obsolete in 18 months, or end-of-lifed, or bought by Oracle."

-- Sun Microsystems Chief Executive Scott McNealy at the Oracle OpenWorld conference, September 21, 2005.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Overheard yesterday coming out of the OR: "I hate surgeons...<nurse turns to look at me>...let me rephrase that...I hate surgeons."

Also, see my sig.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
"I won't get into the synonyms for recumbent scat containers"

Charlie Demerjian in The Inquirer, referring to a press release from HP after The Inquirer published a report that HP was abandoning the Itanium.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Heather Chandler: "Fuck me gently with a chainsaw. Do I look like Mother Theresa?"

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well, hey, if we're going there...

Everyone remember the tender love scene from "Fight Club"?
Neither do I.

But Helena Bonham-Carter (Marla) had this to say after a roll in the hay with Brad Pitt (Tyler Durden):
"I haven't been fucked like that since grade school."

Which is, to my way of thinking, one of the filthiest sentiments ever expressed in an R-rated movie.

Except, if you watch the DVD's deleted scenes, you find out that THAT line was actually the third or fourth one they tried out. Apparently someone at the studio didn't like the line that was actually in the script:
"I wanna have your abortion."

That scene - with either line as its endcap - is really what sold me on that movie.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
“Heaven is where the police are English, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and everything is organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and everything is organized by the Italians.”

From an article in Science via MSNBC

Bozo :mrgrn:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Bozo said:
“Heaven is where the police are English, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and everything is organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and everything is organized by the Italians.”

:rofl: Thanks for that bozo. I read in many years ago and totally forgot about it. It helped improve my morning. :p

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Girl #1: I keep all my money in that piggy bank you gave me.
Girl #2: Piggy bank?
Girl #1: Actually it was a bear, wasn't it? I save my money in that piggy bear.

-- Aboard the New York #7 train

Mercutio

"The initial reaction of myself and most Democrats is the president missed a real opportunity. Nothing is on the table and nothing is off the table. Let's learn more about Judge Scalia."
- Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY), referring to the nomination of Boy from Brazil Samuel Alito.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
"I think it's important to bring somebody from outside the system, the judicial system, somebody that hasn't been on the bench and, therefore, there's not a lot of opinions for people to look at."

— George W. Bush, October 4, 2005

Mercutio

I went to school, ya know. I went to grammar school and once we were taking a test and I was copying this other kid's paper, and I guess the teacher heard my Xerox machine. She said, "Emo, am I stupid or were you cheating?," and I said, "Ah, yes and no."
She sends me to the principal's office and I get there and sit down and he looks at me and says, "Emo, Emo, Emo."
I said, "I'm the one in the middle, you drunken slob."
He said, "Emo, how would you like to repeat the fifth grade?"
I said, "I don't know if I could do it exactly, but I could try."
He said, "I could expel you!"
I said, "You'll have to catch and eat me first, ya weirdo."
He said, "Emo, you'll have to see the school psychologist."
And I said, "But why do I have to see the school psychologist?"
So he shows me the petition. So I went to the psychologist and he says, "Emo, what does this inkblot look like to you?"
I said, "Well, it's kind of embarrassing."
He said, "Emo, everyone sees something silly. Don't be embarrassed. Tell me, what does this inkblot look like to you?"
I said, "Well, uh, to me, um, it looks like, uh, standard pattern number 3 in the Rorschach series to test obsessive compulsiveness." And he got kind of depressed, so I said, "OK, it's a butterfly." And he cheered up.
"And what does this inkblot look like?" I said it looks like a horrible, ugly blob of pure evil, that sucks the souls of men into a vortex of sin and degradation."
He said, "No, uh the inkblot is over there, that's a photo of my wife you're looking at."
"Oh, was I far off?"
He said, "No, that's the sad part." And he gave me a chocolate Easter bunny and I ate the bunny, then I thought, hey, this isn't Easter. "Is this a test?"
And he said, "Yes."
"And what does it mean?"
He said, "Had you eaten the ears first you would have been normal. Had you eaten the feet first you would have had an inferiority complex. Had you eaten the tail first you would have had latent homosexual tendencies and had you eaten the breasts first you would have had a latent Oedipal complex."
"Well...go on, what does it mean when you bite out the eyes and scream 'stop staring at me?'" He said, "It means you have a tendency towards self destruction."
I said, "Well, what do you recommend?"
He said, "Go for it."

- Emo Philips

Mercutio

"...if the state starts paying for contraceptives we will have more babies than if we just teach people to not expect free prostitution from poor people. "

-- Missouri State Congresscritter Cynthia Davis

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
"If the Iranians were to have a nuclear weapon they could proliferate."

—Dubya, March 21, 2006

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
"The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other going in opposite directions"

George Carlin

Bozo :mrgrn:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
* We Americans are not usually thought to be a submissive people, but of course we are. Why else would we allow our country to be destroyed? Why else would we be rewarding its destroyers? Why else would we all— by proxies we have given to greedy corporations and corrupt politicians— be participating in its destruction? Most of us are still too sane to piss in our own cistern, but we allow others to do so and we reward them for it. We reward them so well, in fact, that those who piss in our cistern are wealthier than the rest of us.
o "Compromise, Hell!", Orion (November/December 2004)

* We need to confront honestly the issue of scale. Bigness has a charm and a drama that are seductive, especially to politicians and financiers; but bigness promotes greed, indifference, and damage, and often bigness is not necessary. You may need a large corporation to run an airline or to manufacture cars, but you don't need a large corporation to raise a chicken or a hog. You don't need a large corporation to process local food or local timber and market it locally.
o "Compromise, Hell!", Orion (November/December 2004)