Finally ditching Visual Basic (& Windows) for all app. d

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I don't have much to add beyond the subject line. I'm just elated to finally be in the process of leaving that hideous world behind and I had to post something.

I've developed as many Ruby text-based apps as I could find reason for over the past 3 years. And during that time I'd been wanting to make a real effort at adopting the FOX GUI toolkit under Ruby, which is made possible via an interfacing layer known as FXRuby. I had taken a few impatient stabs at, but at the start of this month, I finally got what I needed: a reason to sit down and create an FXRuby-enabled application at work. And I'm actually succeeding. I have tons of work to do yet, but the writing is on the wall...

...goodbye Visual Basic! Your end is very, very near!

And goodbye Windows too! Forever! Because without the need to put together applications using Visual Basic, I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to keep any personal connection to you. :p

Yay! :D

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Umm ... why does the subject line get truncated at a different length when a new discussion is posted? That last "word" is supposed to be "dev". Handy, is that fixable?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I'm still using VB6 apps.
I'm doing some .net stuff too but that is mostly asp.net not desktop stuff which more often than not has to be called via vba.

Never tried ruby and probably won't get a chance to.
The plaform/implementation decisions of the products we customize pretty much dictates what we have to use to develop with.