Handruin

Administrator
Here is another generic in action:

intro.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
Jake the Dog said:
nice :) what powering yours?

Nothing just yet. (will be electric) I only picked up the truck this past saturday and the remaining components are coming in tomorrow and thursday.

So far what I'm getting is:

RC10T3 Team Factory
Airtronics M8 no servos
Hi tech servo (don't know the model number yet)
Reedy Quasar pro charger
NiMH trinity 3000 Mah race cells (enough for 3 packs, or 18 cells total)
Novak cyclon C2 ESC
Motor is T.B.D.

SteveC

Storage is cool
I used to be into RC cars over a decade ago. I had three, I think. Nothing too elaborate, but I had plenty of fun with them. I probably spent more time taking them apart and rebuilding them than actually racing them. I also had a plane, but my dad crashed it on its first flight, and it never flew again.

Steve

Handruin

Administrator
SteveC said:
I used to be into RC cars over a decade ago. I had three, I think. Nothing too elaborate, but I had plenty of fun with them. I probably spent more time taking them apart and rebuilding them than actually racing them. I also had a plane, but my dad crashed it on its first flight, and it never flew again.

Steve

I was into them about 8 years ago, and I recently sparked interest again. I went down to a local track and spent some time there and watched the races. I enjoyed the atmosphere and everyone was very friendly, so I decided to try racing again. Much has changed sine I've raced my RC12 onroad. Now that I've switched to Off-road, things should be interesting.

slo crostic

Learning Storage Performance
I've got a 1/8 scale 'mint las vegas' that's in bits @ the moment. It's got a .21 cubic inch two stroke engine that runs on nitromethanol. :mrgrn:
I'll post a pic of it as soon as i can.

Handruin

Administrator
That thing is a beast. You could really terrorize the neighborhood kids with it. :mrgrn: Do you race it, or just tear up your neighbors lawn?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
If you read my previous link, you probably already found this, but I just can't resist posting it:

eyes.jpg

Aplogies to everyone in this thread with a real RCC to show off, but Dan's stuff is just so cool (primarily because he's a psychopath). :wink: It sounds like it uses the same engine as yours, Slo.

http://64.85.13.100/personal/behemoth.htm

slo crostic

time said:
It sounds like it uses the same engine as yours, Slo.
Yeah it has the same size engine and is a similar scale, although after seeing the 'behemoth' I think I might invest in some new tyres (that truck would run over anything!!!)
Handruin said:
Do you race it, or just tear up your neighbors lawn?
I tried to get into racing about 10 years ago, but you wouldn't believe how competitive it can be. Besides, it's much more fun to take it out freestyle :mrgrn:
I haven't had it out for quite a while, and it needs a few repairs :( , but this thread has definitely inspired me to head down to the model store on the weekend and get her fired-up again :)

Handruin

Administrator
I'm still not sure what the heck inspired me to get back into racing. (I'll also drive it around freestyle since the truck is fairly rugged) I just decided the other day to visit a local track, and it turned out everyone was really friendly and we chatted for a couple hours. I then stopped down on a race night and watched how the races went.

I enjoyed it because it wasn't die-hard competition, just a bunch of fun. They race the nitro's also which was a first for me to watch. They change the track layout every two months, which will make for a nice change.

time, I appreciate the link, it was enjoyable to look through those monsters!

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Have any of you guys that build model cars and trucks ever built a plane? Have you ever operated one before?

To me flying a plane looks like a lot more fun than driving a model car.

I drove a model car a few years ago when one of my friends built one and it got old pretty quick. Never raced one though. They were electric and seemed to run out of juice pretty quick.

Are the gas cars any faster than electric?

SteveC

Storage is cool
I built a plane once, however I never got to fly it. Against my better judgment, I let my dad take the controls for the first flight, even though I knew he wasn't very good at using the remote control. The plane took off, made a left, then started diving straight into the ground. The plane didn't fly again. I never got around to rebuilding it, mainly since there aren't many open fields I could fly it in North Jersey, and I didn't have my driver's license at the time.

Steve

Handruin

Administrator
timwhit said:
Have any of you guys that build model cars and trucks ever built a plane? Have you ever operated one before?

To me flying a plane looks like a lot more fun than driving a model car.

I drove a model car a few years ago when one of my friends built one and it got old pretty quick. Never raced one though. They were electric and seemed to run out of juice pretty quick.

I have not built or operated a plane, but it looks like fun. The problem I see is that I would need a ton of open area to fly it, and also I would be worried that the transmitter wouldn't reach if the plane flew too high. :)

I've raced numerous times with a 1/12-scale car and I enjoyed it very much. there is more involved then putting it on the ground and pressing the trigger to move forward. I'm interested in tweaking the truck and tuning it to the track. This track also has trophy events where a couple hundred people show up. I think that would be fun.

The gas cars are faster then electric, but from what I've seen they have their share of issues. People who were racing the gas version of my truck stalled out often. It also seems harder to control the power because of the clutch, where as with electric you have a fine control on the amount of power you give the wheels. This is only a narrow perspective since I haven't even driven a gas car. I've only watched them race.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I built and flew many R/C planes in years past. Flying takes a while to learn. As you know when your R/C car is heading directly towards you the left - right control is reversed so to speak. Same thing with planes and that takes a while to learn to compensate for. Landing is also not as easy at it looks.

As for flying out of radio range, that is really not a concern as you will loose sight of your plane long before you are out of radio range. Your best bet if your interested in flying is to find a local club which has a field. They usually have members who will be glad to teach you using a buddy cable if your transmitter will accept one. That way the chances of you crashing are minimal. Clubs also provide insurance and regulate frequencies to prevent signal interference.

I crashed a few planes my self even after having flown for years. Some were the result of equipment failure or just of momentary confusion such when flying out of the sun. It's not pleasant but it is rare a plane is a total loss.

But it is thrilling to do as a hobby.

slo crostic

timwhit said:
Mine is considerably faster than most electric ones I've seen, but it's not at all fast for a gas car. It's set up with mid-range gearing to get the best of both worlds. Some of the road racing gas cars have three-speed gearboxes in them and they absolutely fly.
handruin said:
People who were racing the gas version of my truck stalled out often. It also seems harder to control the power because of the clutch,
I found the same problem with my car. The centrifugal clutch engages quite quickly, so if you hit the throttle too suddenly it can stall (much the same as a high performance road car. It just takes time to get used to the setup of the car you are racing, and to set up the car for your driving style and track layout. I actually find it hard to drive an electric R/C car now, because when you pull the stick back the car jumps into reverse instead of braking like a gas car. Like i said, it takes time to master any R/C car, much the same as different types of automobile ie: rear, front or four wheel drive.

Handruin

Administrator
I actually find it hard to drive an electric R/C car now, because when you pull the stick back the car jumps into reverse instead of braking like a gas car. Like i said, it takes time to master any R/C car, much the same as different types of automobile ie: rear, front or four wheel drive.

Ah, but race rules don't allow speed controls to reverse in electric cars and trucks where I race. (my speed control does not have reverse at all) Pressing reverse actives an electric brake from the motor, which happens to work quite well. More interestingly is that the controller I am going to purchased even has anti-lock brakes built into the controller and some how manipulates the speed control into not locking the brakes.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Handruin said:
More interestingly is that the controller I am going to purchased even has anti-lock brakes built into the controller and some how manipulates the speed control into not locking the brakes.

Wow. Things certainly have advanced a lot since I've been into RC cars. I don't even have anti-lock brakes on my real car!

Steve

Handruin

Administrator
SteveC said:
Handruin said:
More interestingly is that the controller I am going to purchased even has anti-lock brakes built into the controller and some how manipulates the speed control into not locking the brakes.

Wow. Things certainly have advanced a lot since I've been into RC cars. I don't even have anti-lock brakes on my real car!

Steve

This truck even has titanium suspention links and shock shafts along with molded graphic arms, graphite chasis and more. I was also a bit amazed to hear they had anti-lock brakes!

Handruin

Administrator
I got back from my first race tonight. I headed down to the track around 10:30 AM this morning. My truck needed some work to get it ready for the race today. Today was a great day; I received so much help from the current members of the track including one of the key players supporting the track. I made the choice to buy my equipment through the track, which cost me a little more (Not much more), but it has proved to pay for itself now.

From this I have to express how invaluable their help and support is worth to me. The owners have spent time with me to get the truck running and they shared tips and setup techniques all day long. My truck runs fantastic and I had such a good time. We had 3 qualifiers and a main race. I won all 3 qualifiers to my surprise, but came in 4th during the A main. Winning the 3 qualifiers bumped me up to the A main instead of the B main which was nice. I got to race with the "big guns", but they flew right by me. (Oh well, it was my first time racing off-road ever)

Overall it was a blast. I'm very happy I decided to rejoin this hobby. It has been approximately 10 years since I've raced, and it is just as fun as it was then, if not better.

The people are great, and everyone is very friendly, including the storeowners and top racers. The great atmosphere alone makes it a great time! Now I can't wait to get back out and race again.

I've never experience flying a truck. It is an interesting experience to be able to adjust the tilt of the truck while it is in the air. By blipping the throttle, or by hitting the brake, I can adjust the pitch of the truck to make for a smooth landing. The truck gets about 3-4 feet in the air, and it sometimes feels like it's up in the air forever. :) The great suspension eats the inertia, and the truck continues to smile on down the track like nothing happened.

SteveC

Storage is cool
It's good to see that you enjoyed it. It's also proof that there still are nice and helpful people in this world. Handruin, you did very well for your first race, certainly much better than I think I would have. Just out of curiosity, how many people were there?

Steve

Handruin

Administrator
SteveC said:
It's good to see that you enjoyed it. It's also proof that there still are nice and helpful people in this world. Handruin, you did very well for your first race, certainly much better than I think I would have. Just out of curiosity, how many people were there?

Steve

I was much surprised I did as well as I did. I think a good part of this was due to the help I received in setting up the truck.

There were about 9-10 people at the race this afternoon. Sundays are slower then the Thursday race. Thursday has about 15-20 people. My luck in the races may be due to the small turnout, but I can't discredit all of my driving ability. :wink: (Which still needs plenty of work)

slo crostic

Well done Handruin, sounds like you're a natural :D
All the best with your future pursuits in racing.
It's always good to join a new club and find people helpful and encouraging.
IMO, there's not enough of that in the world today.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Nice going Doug! BTW - Where in Mass are you? I was born in Methuen. Most of my family are from the Lawrence, Methuen and Lowell area.

Handruin

Administrator
flagreen said:
Nice going Doug! BTW - Where in Mass are you? I was born in Methuen. Most of my family are from the Lawrence, Methuen and Lowell area.

I'm in shrewsbury, outside of worcester. Methuen is about 40-50 miles from me. I'm west of Boston.

Handruin

Administrator
Tonight Laura and I bought each other a present as an early aniversery gift. Well, we bought the present together, which happened to be a digital camera.

I'm still learning the camera, so I decided to take a few test shots of the truck:

Warning: Images are large

Handruin

Administrator
JMP said:
Well, we bought the present together, which happened to be a digital camera.

Those pictures turned out nice, which Camera did you buy??

Jeff

Vacation is running slightly behind, but I'm about to head out in a few minutes. The camera is a Sony DSC-F707. I will post more pics when I get back. We bought 2x 128 MB sticks, so we should have a bunch of images!

See you in a week,

Doug

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Sweet camera. Shame it uses those Memory Sticks but still one of the best 5MP cameras around.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I'm thinking of getting into it again with the HPI RS4 Micro. Nice qand cheap/simple. Anyone have any experience with them?