Firefox Goodies

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
F*%$##@(!!!! Firefox! It's doing it again! Just about the only thing I use this third-best browser for is visiting another forum ('cause it's easier to have different browsers for different places when you have a million windows open all the time).

And, not for the first bloody time, every time I hit the damn single quote key to make an apostrophe, that stupid, pox-ridden excuse for a modern browser pops up a bloody search bar at the bottom of the page. I DON'T WANT A BLOODY SEARCH BAR! I just want to post on a web forum for chrissake! How hard can it be?

I can press escape and type away again ..... just so long as I don't touch the damn single quote key, cause if I do, it's straght back to stupid search bar mode again.

I mean, seriously, how bad is this user interface? This NEVER happens with Mozilla, it NEVER happens with Opera, it never even happens with everybody's favourite cripplebrowser Internet Explorer.

This isn't the first time I've run into this exact same brain-dead behaviour from what is supposed to be a "modern", "user-friendly" browser. Note well, latest version, no plug-ins, no nuffin. I can't believe that people actually like this pox-ridden excuse for a browser.

It's just broken.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Tannin - I've not seen that behavior. When you type the single quote, is your text cursor in an input field?

There is a FF option to begin searching when you type something, although as I just alluded it doesn't fire if you're in a text input box. To check your setting, Tools - Options - Advanced and de-select 'Begin finding when you begin typing'.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
If your cursor is not in a text input field, what would you have the browser do? Ignore the typing? That wouldn't be very nice. Why not assume the user wanted a reaction?

Personally, I really like the auto-search. It's very handly when scanning some forums for new messages. Not here, as we don't have any indication as to which messages are actually new (a gripe of mine), but some software places a [new] in front of new posts. Simply loading the page & typing [n is enough to find new posts. Very convenient, even if all it does save is a Ctrl-F.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I typed a single apostrophe when I was reading this thread, and sure enough, the search bar opened up at the bottom (didn't know it did that). Now I'll type an apostrophe in the input box text here (I just did), and no search bar opened up.

Fushigi is right.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Yep, in an input box. Tools - Options - Advanced and de-select 'Begin finding when you begin typing'. - already de-selected long since. The bug is still there. It doesn't occur all the time, just every now and then. Nice try, Fushigi but no cigar.

Will, your ability to find documentation for stuff is a legend!

Meanwhile, we are still waiting for a fix that actually works.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I see it's been a bug for one year, three months and 19 days (475 days all up). There appears to be some difficulty fixing it because of design problems:

+ /**
+ * In certain situations the focus controller's concept of focus gets out of
+ * whack with mCurrentFocus. This is used in known cases to reset the focus
+ * controller's focus. At some point we should probably move to a single
+ * focus storage mechanism because tracking it in several places is error-prone.
+ */