forgotten password in Vista, any solution?

paugie

Storage is cool
My sister's friend apparently forgot or mistyped something when changing the password on a Vista laptop. Now she can't access Vista. Any suggested solution?

I asked her to access Vista through safe mode hoping there was no Administrator password. But there is an Administrator password and they are stumped.

Appreciate any help.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There is a tool called "Hiren's BootCD" that can be found all over the place. It is an amazing tool for computer techs and it includes several programs that can strip passwords from Windows.

It's not legitimate from a legal standpoint; it includes DOS versions of several commercial programs like Partition Magic. On the other hand, it's a big collection of incredibly useful tech tools, the sort of things everyone should probably be carrying around anyway.

You can pretty easily find a copy of Hiren's BootCD on sites like the Pirate Bay.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
There is a tool called "Hiren's BootCD" that can be found all over the place. It is an amazing tool for computer techs and it includes several programs that can strip passwords from Windows.

It's not legitimate from a legal standpoint; it includes DOS versions of several commercial programs like Partition Magic. On the other hand, it's a big collection of incredibly useful tech tools, the sort of things everyone should probably be carrying around anyway.

You can pretty easily find a copy of Hiren's BootCD on sites like the Pirate Bay.

X2 Hirens boot CD is pretty helpful and they seem to update it quite a bit. Certainly has a couple of utilities on it:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd