Formatting NTFS?

its.fubar

Learning Storage Performance
Some few months back I converted my C disk to NTFS and everything seemed to be working correctly until about two weeks back and then I started experiencing A considerable slowing down In performance especially when opening internet explorer and other program ,as far as I know I have no virus on my machine the program I am using is Norton 2003 and is set for automatic update and it seems to be working correctly,the specifications of my PC is a P4 1.8 with 512 ddram on a MSI 845 ultra mother board with a MSI Ti440 Graphic card there are no conflicts with drivers .

first question? it seems to be suggesting that I am running out of ram memory is this a possibility ?

second question? how do I reformat in NTFS because I am considering a clean Install ?

third question ? I have been using Norton speed disk for defraging can this program be causing the problems ?

and if you have any other suggestions These will be gratefully considered and except.

SteveC

Storage is cool
When you convert a drive to NTFS from FAT32, it uses 512-byte clusters instead of 4K clusters, which is why you're experiencing the slow down. If you're doing a clean install, it will give you the option the format the drive in NTFS, and it'll use 4K clusters when you do that.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
You may consider examining temp directories and IE temp files.

Regarding "running out of memory" errors: you should open task manager and see if you are running out of memory. You should also check to see if you have a run-away process or one with a memory leak.

Can you think of anything that changed with your computer two weeks back, software or hardware?

its.fubar

SteveC said:
When you convert a drive to NTFS from FAT32, it uses 512-byte clusters instead of 4K clusters, which is why you're experiencing the slow down. If you're doing a clean install, it will give you the option the format the drive in NTFS, and it'll use 4K clusters when you do that.

Thanks for the information, sorry about not answering before,But as you can imagine I had my work cut out for me when I decided on a clean install and everything seems to be working OK now.

many thanks.

its.fubar

Howell said:
You may consider examining temp directories and IE temp files.

Regarding "running out of memory" errors: you should open task manager and see if you are running out of memory. You should also check to see if you have a run-away process or one with a memory leak.

Can you think of anything that changed with your computer two weeks back, software or hardware?

Thanks for the information, sorry about not answering before, I normally keep my temporary files emty And there was no hardware changes that I was aware of, one or two program changes but I don't think they had anything to do with it, I believe What Steve C. stated was more likely to be the cause of my problems.

many thanks anyway.