Formatting question #2

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
How do you usually handle a situation where the OS is Win2k or XP, and you need to format a >40GB drive with fat32 (for easy read/write access from different operating systems) ? What steps do you take to partition and format the drive?
Windows limits you to a max of 32 (or was it 36GB?) FA32 partitions :( .

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I've formated 40 and 60GB hard drives in FAT32 without problems. I'm running Win98se on one.

Bozo :mrgrn:

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Yup, and I've got 120GB drives with FAt32, but the problem is that you have to format it with another operating system than win2k or XP. They will only let you format a drive <32GB with FAT32, otherwise you have to use NTFS.

So you need to make the partition, use a bootdisk with win98 on it and then format it, right? Does anyone have a better solution?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
You could boot to the DOS version of Partition Magic and format even a 250 GB drive as FAT32 in about a minute. It beats the hell out of the format command.

yeti

What is this storage?
foramtting #2

I understand that Partion Magic will do the FAT-32 job up to 250GB. Windows stops at 32 GB.

After that things get harder...

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Does Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management give you partition reallocating tools in Windows XP Professional?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If you've converted to dynamic disks and use NTFS, you can.

Also, there is a command line partition tool available in 2000/XP. It's called Diskpart, and it can do everything Disk Management does.

Mercutio

Yeah. Right click on your drives in disk management and if there's at least 1MB of unpartitioned space you'll be able to convert to dynamic disks, which are required for 2000/XP support of more advanced data storage (e.g. software RAID) anyway.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
Yeah. Right click on your drives in disk management and if there's at least 1MB of unpartitioned space you'll be able to convert to dynamic disks, which are required for 2000/XP support of more advanced data storage (e.g. software RAID) anyway.

There is no easy way back to basic disk though, Ghost or deleting all the drives (You can change back to basic disk only then) are the only options. I don't think that PM has this feature yet, and I would be too scared to use it anyway... :wink:

Jan

Mercutio

Why would you want to? Still booting into 98? Don't have a different drive (or a different machine, as is proper) for *nix?

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Re-installation can be a bitch with dynamic disks. You cannot boot from a dynamic drive, if the partition wasn't bootable (active) prior conversation.

Jan