Freecom ToughDrive

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Anyone used these? They claim to survive a 2m drop.

I'm looking for backup media, and given my well-justified fear and loathing of tape solutions, this seems to be the best alternative.

There's also Lacie, but reviews seemed a little more mixed.

Flash capacity increases seem to be having a breather (locally, 16GB in a decent brand is rare, let alone the elusive 32GB).

I suppose Blu-Ray is a possible answer, but if that's so, what the hell was the question?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I typically buy Seagate external drives for backup needs. No one likes tape, and in a small shop or a home, it's pretty doubtful that anyone would pay it the attention it needs. I've never tried a Freecom Toughdrive. It looks like it's using a laptop part, so the capacity is rather smaller than I'd like. I generally buy 500GB drive, and I'll probably continue to do so until 750GB units are down around $150.

I *have* tried Lacie, and they're fine.
Actually, they're really good. I bought a 40GB model from Clocker several years ago, and I threw it in my tech bag and carried it all over the place. It got dropped and banged around quite a bit over the years, but it's sitting on my desk here and it does still work.

BluRay is going to have the same issues as any other WORM media - the media isn't going to be stable for long term use, and of course it only takes a single unreadable sector on a disc to hose an entire backup set.

Flash is just not big enough for anything useful; these days most home PCs have many gigabytes of pictures and music and that's just not going to fit on any flash drive that might be called affordable.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
BluRay is going to have the same issues as any other WORM media - the media isn't going to be stable for long term use, and of course it only takes a single unreadable sector on a disc to hose an entire backup set.

You could always create RAR sets with parity volumes to get around this. I have burned CDs that have lasted for over 10 years. I have also had CDs/DVDs go bad after a year.