From Lotus Notes 8.5 to latest MS Outlook

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Howdy-
My company is moving from Lotus Notes 8.5 to the latest version of Outlook. They are touting better integration with the latest MS Office suite as a productivity improver.

Do you guys think this will be improvement? What am I in store for? :eek:

Thanks,
Clocker

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Well Notes is god-awful. I've never been forced to be a user, but I've had to do support for it and if you've been exposed to absolutely any other E-mail system in the last 15 years it's pretty easy to understand. I know there are organizations that keep it because of the fantastic ability to manage and associate documents within Notes, but that's something Microsoft largely addresses with Sharepoint, which you'll probably also be getting. And plenty of organizations never touch the document sharing aspect at all, or it's kept in place just because one subgroup of users want it.

I hate Outlook from a support perspective (Outlook keeps user settings too many different places and is extremely heavyweight for what it does), but it DOES work and it integrates very well in an all Microsoft environment. You probably won't ever see or deal with any of that unless someone expects you to manage your own Email on a local client, something I highly doubt you'd be dealing with in 2013. For you it's just going to mean a completely different GUI that, as a literate human being, you'll accept and adjust to.

Speaking of, does GM still have the big association with EDS, or is this all coming from in-house IT? Most Lotus users tend to be associated with IBM clients, which means banks and large government entities. I'm a little surprised that you're still using it.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't think EDS really exists anymore. I believe they were absorbed by HP which has had it's own problems. We used to outsource almost all our IT stuff to HP but have since brought a lot of that stuff in house and have been hiring some HP people in the process. We have have been in-sourcing a lot of our IT stuff and hiring a butt-load of IT people in the process. http://bigthink.com/flash-foresight...s-whats-your-plan-to-leverage-high-value-data

We do use sharepoint to degree and I think we will be expanding that (I don't use it yet). It seems like we are getting away from GDM (Global Document Management) system which I *think* is provided by EMC. I know we have lots of EMC equipment/data storage stuff, anyway.

Will it be easier for me to just backup or archive emails with Outlook? I find it kind of a pain in LN. I hear Outlook uses a 'PST' file that has the mail data in it. If I could create a separate archive/database that I could periodically store in an offline folder out of my share drive (1GB limit for my Lotus Notes) that would help me stay out of Mail Jail.

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Email practices can vary widely between organizations but yes Outlook will give you a particular file type that stores contacts/mail/calendar locally on your client and it will be at least possible to manage it if you choose to.