Gateway p-6301 XP DRIVER HELP PLEASE!

JoeSamo86

What is this storage?
Sooooooooo cant find ANY drivers for this pc...im fixing this for a friend and well...not im fixing it for myself because they wanted vista gone so i said suree ...i already knew what i was getting into but i did not think it would be so hard to find ONE single driver for this machine...ANY drivers people can find i would appreciate so much...especially the Ethernet//wireless driver...please help me!

JoeSamo86

What is this storage?
well i found some the drivers i need now are pci device, rtl8187b_wlan_adapter

and 3 unknown devices :( ..how can i find out what these are
_

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
For the RTL8187B, the driver from Realtek is here (bottom of the page). I don't know if Gateway messes with it or not, but the one from Realtek will probably work.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Many recent Gateway notebooks are actually made by Compal. Very often you'll find a Compal model number on the bottom of the notebook. Finding out the Compal model should give you a good way to look up specific hardware.

Actually the Gateway web site does a pretty decent job of narrowing down the drivers you need. I'd guess that the stuff that is not install is probably pretty minor, like the modem or card reader.

Does sound work?
Does ethernet?
Are you in a resolution higher than 640x480?

Here's your WLAN driver.

JoeSamo86

What is this storage?
No sound, ethernet is good because i just downloaded some random realtech driver and it worked...umm there is no wireless thats working....there is a slot for sd/mmc/ms/xd cards so thats probably one of the slots the compal number im not sure what they would be but i have a few things, model number is MG1 -- some other number that next to it says made in china is P2479 010 02297 I also have the S/N but i dont think that would help

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The RTL8187B is the wireless.

Also, since you're putting XP on it, be sure to get SP3 and any other updates. In fact, Windows Update might catch the odd hardware driver for the machine.

I just Googled "Gateway p-6301" and saw a link to Gateway's site. Clicking Drivers from there I get this list. Some are Vista only but there are some XP drivers there as well as the latest BIOS.

JoeSamo86

What is this storage?
Fushigi thank you now i have the wireless...now just gotta do the others and im set...

JoeSamo86

What is this storage?
Mercutio Thank you for the audio driver i really appreciate the help here and i hope to be able to return the favor.. this is my first day on this forum and i already like it much better than www.computerforum.com

JoeSamo86

What is this storage?
So im left with now the modem device on high def audio bus and 3 unknowns which are probably the slot for sd/mmc/ms/xd cards i think i need the chipset or something i still have 3 unknown devices with sp3 installed im still doing updates though

JoeSamo86

What is this storage?
At this point i dont know i was able to get the modem device..

i dont think the chipset installed

i dont have the sd/mmc/ms/xd card slot driver thing

there is a dvd play pause ff whatever buttons on the top of the keyboard which may requre drivers im not sure

all im left with is 3 unknown drivers

i have video, audio, modem, ethernet, wireless all installed. There is a touchpad mouse but i dont have drivers for that but it works so i guess it does not need them

anyways once again went from vista to xp..

thanks guys

JoeSamo86

What is this storage?
I think this is what you want.

Well i did that and still nothing ...still have 3 unknown devices and i believe it is the card reader on the side of the laptop. I installed the vista touch pad and it seemed to work since it shows up now..i really dont get it i tried uninstalling the devices and then restarting but they still come up as unknown. its frustrating

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's a process of elimination. And on some level, some of that hardware you probably don't REALLY care about, like the modem.

Basically, on a notebook like that, you need drivers for all of the following:
Display Adapters, Wired Networking, Wireless Networking, Audio + the Microsoft UAA driver (most likely, anyway), Chipset, Card Reader and maybe pointing device.

Not having the proper chipset driver install can cause other things to not install properly.

If the copy of Windows you used is Pre-SP2, you might also need to install drivers for USB 2.0.

That's about it.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well i did that and still nothing ...still have 3 unknown devices and i believe it is the card reader on the side of the laptop. I installed the vista touch pad and it seemed to work since it shows up now..i really dont get it i tried uninstalling the devices and then restarting but they still come up as unknown. its frustrating
Did you let the updater connect to the internet to look online for the drivers?

JoeSamo86

What is this storage?
ahh screw it..everything works but it still says 3 unknown devices oh well.. At least they work right?? I would whole heartily like to thank Sterodude, Mercutio, and Fushigi for helping me through this you guys saved me alot of headaches. Thank you.