GCC Hyperdrive mechanism for Mac 512's

JDW

What is this storage?
I found the Golden Oldies page on this site to be quite interesting:
http://www.redhill.net.au/d/d-a.html

Any thoughts on the GCC Hyperdrive mechanism shown here?:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66071596@N00/527590168/

The label on the drive shows MMi (Microcomputer Memories) and model MM112. But it is likely that MMi company simply used another drive manufacturers mechanism. It is that point I am interesting in discussing here.

Thank you.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Is it that you want to talk about cross-brand labeling or drive suspension systems (in general) or that particular drive suspensions system?

Cross-brand labeling, for all sorts of products, occurs all the time. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. I don't see anything wrong with the concept other than it is a way of limiting responsibility for bad products.

For most applications drive suspension systems are unnecessary because, for at least me, I am not generally bothered by the noise hard drives make. Drive noise is a very small percentage of the noise of a system, so fans are a much bigger issue. However, some drives are noisey and combining them with cases that either rattle or amplify the vibrations produce value in drive suspension sub-systems. Rather than buying into a specific drive suspension system, I think I would either replace the drive with a quiet one or replace the case with a low-noise case that has a drive-suspension built in like an Antec P180/182/190.

I have no knowledge as to the effectiveness of that particular piece of hardware, so I will try not to comment on it specificly.

JDW

What is this storage?
You misunderstood me. I was wondering if indeed a company named MMi truly built the drive mechanism used in the GCC Hyperdrive for Macintosh, or if they put their label on another manufacturers drive. It's a 20MB capacity drive, released in 1985.

I started this thread to gather more information about the drive mechanism, it's type (MFM or RLL) and its true manufacturer.

Thank you.