Getting Tape Class Driver Version

hemanth_hp

What is this storage?
Any directions for getting the tape class driver version using Windows code.

I had some few thoughts of getting the same.

1. As we know the Tape Class driver file is Tape.sys in Windows. Simultaneously it has a .INF file tape.inf Is it the right way of parsing the .INF file and getting the Tape Class Driver Version.

2. Scanning the Registry "HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class". Search for the GUID key which has the Class Key value as TapeDrive. Then query the "HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/"Searched GUID/0000". Now query the value for the Key DriverVersion and get the Tape Class Driver Version.

I feel second approach better than first.

Can any one help me out. which would be feasible or technically correct way of getting the Tape Class Driver Version.

Any Direction would help.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm not sure what you're trying to do. If you want to confirm that a particular tape drive is supported, then I suppose checking the inf version is one way of doing it.

I don't know why you would need to search the registry, though. The key value is predefined in the inf file as ClassGUID. By all means check different versions of Windows, but I'd be surprised if it changes. If in doubt, just read the key from tape.inf first.

hemanth_hp

What is this storage?
I can get the ClassGUID through WMI. By quering the Win32_TapeDrive class and getting the deviceID then quering the same in Win32_PnpEntity class. This class also has a member for Class GUID. Using this GUID we can query the Registry for the Driver version in the specified Registry path.