Ghost Weirdness

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ghost 7.5 Enterprise.

4 Maxtor 15GB drives: two source drive, two that are blank. These are identical disks. Contiguous serial numbers.

Two partitions on the source disk, one with Win98, the other WinXP (not participating in a domain, but the end result will be)

Default Disk to disk cloning leads to nonfunctional XP - the system time comes up as the year 12003 and resets to that time on restart of XP. The time is correct in the BIOS, in Win98, and XP on the source disk.

Default Partition cloning gets the same result.

So does working from a disk or partition image on a CD.

Turning on any non-default option (such as the "Clone All" option or force bad sectors.) results in "Source disk larger than destination, Clone Failed" then a trip back to a DOS prompt.

I've tried using a different PCs (the kind that don't have ECS motherboards) to do the cloning.

Anyone run into anything like this before?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
nope... not here.... i had some weirdness when my IDE cable was connected in reverse...

seems weird for 15GB drives... perhaps you can run a chkdsk or fix MBR on both drives...

Mercutio

Errr... There are NTFS partitions involved here.
DOS is "7.1" (Win98). Ghost 7.5 sees NTFS 5.1 (XP NTFS) just fine, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Default Disk to disk cloning leads to nonfunctional XP - the system time comes up as the year 12003 and resets to that time on restart of XP. The time is correct in the BIOS, in Win98, and XP on the source disk.
?
Never seen that before.
Is XP only malfunctioning in the time that is displayed? If you create a file what time/date does it get? If you adjust the time/date in BIOS does XP change system time corespondingly? Is it possible the original is corrupt?

Mercutio

Symantec's Support

The host 198.6.49.121 could not be contacted. If this persists, you should contact the administrator of the remote site.

My hatred for these bastards is quickly exceeding that of even nvidia or Western Digital.

GET A SITE THAT WORKS YOU MORONS.

zx

Learning Storage Performance
I had a similar problem with ghost 7.5 EE. After ghosting, my boot disk partition was not accessible. I could access it with DOS (FAT32 partition) and the file names were all mixed up, with weird ()(&&*%*#%?) characters.

If possible, try drive image to see if the same problem (or similar ones arise)...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
Errr... There are NTFS partitions involved here.
DOS is "7.1" (Win98). Ghost 7.5 sees NTFS 5.1 (XP NTFS) just fine, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Within a XP operated system, you can hook up the two drives (target and source) and run XCOPY, it works just fine for NTFS partitions. I just did this a few times recently when upgrading hard drives for customers using Windows 2000 and XP both with NTFS partitions.

Mercutio

Turns out that Ghost was fudging partition sizes. I looked at the four drives in the same system and noticed that the two partitons on each disk varied in size by up to 2MB. I don't know why or how that could happen. I might've spectulated drive geometry but these are identical drives.