Gigabit Cardbus

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Does such a thing as a gigabit cardbus adapter exist? I searched for one without success. It is tiresome waiting forever at 100M to copy all the files off the laptop's hard drive. :(

Thanks,

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
How many laptop hard drives will be able to read at more than 30MB/s? Along with inefficiencies in the file system this brings things down to 15-20MB/s. So you wouldn't gain that much from a gigabit NIC. You could try using two 100mb NICs together to achieve twice the bandwidth. That is if you have a free slot.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Just for reference: I can do about 23MB/s reading from a 7200RPM Maxtor Plus9 and writing to a Cheetah 36ES. I used a 700MB file and just timed it. Not the most accurate test, but good enough to determine what kind of inefficiencies the filesystem give you. When you also add in inefficiences in TCP/IP the rate of transmission will be even slower.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I would love to get 20MB/sec out my laptop NIC. As it is I'm lucky to get more than 6 or 7MB/sec thru 10/100. Put me down for a gigabit Cardbus card too! I imagine we will see them in the future, now that they can do gigabit on a single chip. Perhaps they have heat issues too?