glassy computer desks

adriel

Learning Storage Performance
So I was looking at some Italian designs online:

pic01.jpg

But then decided that this below one, although more garish, wasn't all that bad looking. If that stupid printer stand in the middle could be removed, I would definitely get it. The only question mark is the downward monitor view. Is it comfy on the neck? Ah, who cares.

dl-010g.jpg

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Yuk.

How are you going to be able to have papers on the desk while using the computer. I'm sure a tidy desk says something about the person. Give me a large old-fashioned Steel-Case grey-metal desk with big drawers. Functionallity, that's what I want in a desk. Leave statement-making desk-art in the lobby with the receptionist.

adriel

That's actually the most wonderful thing about it; both the paperwork and the monitor screen are right there in front of you. Ordinarily, you'd have to look up at a monitor, then look back down at the paperwork, scan the paperwork for where you last left off, then back to the monitor above again. That kind of view switching takes too much time. Now, it's all right there.

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
I'm with P5. Functional is better. I have a large 1940s-era oak military desk that belonged to my grandfather. It's huge! I have space for two monitors, keyboard, mouse, and still plenty of desk space for paperwork.

workarea1.jpg

There are also sidedesks that slide out on both sides of the desk--perfect for keyboards, laptops, etc. Call me traditional or old-fashioned, but it works!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As I understand things, the ergonomics of the upward-facing display are better than those for standard monitor-on-top designs.

That said, genuis thrives on clutter, and the more stuff that's on my desk, the better I like it. :)

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
That glass looks tinted. I imagine it would distort the colors of the monitor. Anyway, desks with upward facing monitors remind me of those stupid ergonomic chairs where the person looks like they're going to accidentally slide off. I can't imagine getting too comfortable on one of those. Add ergonomic keyboards to that list, too. They may be better for you(that's a big maybe), but they look ridiculous-kind of like a keyboard that broke in half. In fact, the first time I saw one, I asked the person why they were using a busted keyboard.

I think I'll stick to my big wooden desk that I put two six foot long book shelves on top of. Plenty of room for everything, although I'll need to raise the shelves up a bit to get something larger than a 15" monitor to fit.

Oh, I just remembered another thing. I hate glass tables of any kind. Occasionally things slip out of my hands, and with a glass table that'll mean cleaning up glass splinters everywhere for the next week. My sister has glass tables in her living room and she also has a child. Now that's really tempting fate!

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Mercutio too: he'z got a brain.

Tannin, by the way, says that those weird-looking ergo chairs, once you get used to remembering that (despite the posture) you are at the office working, as opposed to at the chapel confessing all your sins, are really comfortable. Not having his rattley old bones and unsupple joints, I am perfectly happy just to use the bare floor. Or walls. Or roof - whichever one happens to be most conveniently to foot.

I like the idea of a downward-looking monitor, but not if it means giving up on clutter.

Ergonomic keyboards, on the other paw, are an abomination, and are (so far az I know) outlawed by all the more civilised nationz under the Geneva Convention.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tea said:
Ergonomic keyboards, on the other paw, are an abomination, and are (so far az I know) outlawed by all the more civilised nationz under the Geneva Convention.

Thank goodness that the USA is not a civilized nation (or at least refuses to adhere to the Geneva Convention)! I only use ergonomic keyboards, if I'm put in a situation to use the opposition, the keyboards feel cramped, congested, and inherently discomfited.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Yeah, hunt and peck typists (if you can call them typists) get annoyed when they have to type on my natural keyboard.

But I love it and feel cramped on other keyboards.
Learning to use it actually enforces typing skills.
I only look at the keyboard for the numbers anymore.

adriel

Let's see if anyone will like the full picture that is in my head at the moment.

Imagine a small squarish computer room, dimly lit. The room appears clean and sparsely furnished. Focused in the back two corners, are each a blue floorstanding light.

http://www.eurofurniture.com/itemimages/4631hi.jpg

Between them on the back wall is some sort of futon, wood or metal frame.

The computer desk is off to the side, maybe even tucked into a closet, with a computer chair:

http://www.eurofurniture.com/itemimages/6780hi.jpg

The middle of the room is bare until your eyes nearly reach the front wall. Centered is a shelf with some equipment on it:

http://64.19.131.130/Content/products/300/EC-MO-5080-10.jpg

Flanking the shelf on each side at 3-4 feet, are some blue speakers:

http://www.iagamerica.com/quad/p_esl988blue.jpg

Well, that's pretty much the big picture. I'm guessing that if you didn't dig the desk, you won't dig the room. But if you walked into a computer room like this, what would you think? Perhaps it may lack moderation and subtlety, but does it at least look like a room with harmony, rhythm, proportion, and balance?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
adriel said:
Imagine a small squarish computer room, dimly lit. The room appears clean and sparsely furnished. Focused in the back two corners, are each a blue floorstanding light.

Between them on the back wall is some sort of futon, wood or metal frame.

The computer desk is off to the side, maybe even tucked into a closet, with a computer chair:

The middle of the room is bare until your eyes nearly reach the front wall. Centered is a shelf with some equipment on it:

Flanking the shelf on each side at 3-4 feet, are some blue speakers:

Well, that's pretty much the big picture. I'm guessing that if you didn't dig the desk, you won't dig the room. But if you walked into a computer room like this, what would you think?

Such a room may not exist in reality, but it exists in "The Twilight Zone". And the person you are about to meet is part of an imaginary group of people collectively called The StorageForum. These people and this room, up until now, have only existed in his mind. But a turn of events will come shortly that will cause this person to question what he believes is reality. The date is December 29. The year is unimportant for our purposes. We begin our story in a dimly lit computer room....

(I leave it to someone with a better imagination than me to complete the story)

P.S. The way adriel described the room reminded me of Rod Serling's narration so I just couldn't resist picking up from there. Please don't take this as ridicule of any sort. In fact, the room adriel describes sounds very interesting.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Who imagined us? And why aren't they on stronger medication?

PZ: I don't look at the keyz either, bar the numbers and the @#$%^ symbols, and I touch-type Tannin-style. (i.e., with just one paw.) I can turn an ergonomic keyboard into wallpaper almost instantly.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
adriel said:
Well, that's pretty much the big picture. I'm guessing that if you didn't dig the desk, you won't dig the room. But if you walked into a computer room like this, what would you think? Perhaps it may lack moderation and subtlety, but does it at least look like a room with harmony, rhythm, proportion, and balance?

I'm not sure I would enjoy reading by blue light. Also, that chair doesn't look particularly comfortable for sitting for very long. It all sure looks cool though.