Gmail on iPhone

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I need to set up Gmail on a couple of iPhones, but I'm hampered because i don't have an iPhone here.

AFAIK, the latest versions of IOS4 can now be set up with the Gmail (IMAP) wizard option, even with push email. Has anyone confirmed this?

Irritatingly, all the YouTube videos I can find refer to older versions of the IOS where you had to set it up manually to either a) get IMAP or b) get deleted items to work correctly etc. I need to know exactly where to direct very non-technical users to enter the user logins and passwords etc under the latest software.

I see that contact sync used to be done through Google's own giant Exchange server. Is that still the only option, and is that in someway preferable to the IMAP solution if you have large quantities of emails?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have my ipad set to the quick setup option using imap and I don't see that the mail will push. Just tried it and it didn't. Specifically under the advanced account settings for push you can look at the gmail account and the two options are fetch and manual.

Push works great on my iphone set up as exchange, pushes both calendar and mail just fine. On the iphone push advanced settings set up as exchange you get fetch, manual or push.

Both are on 4.3.3 but honestly the exchange setup should be the same across iOS versions, even if the writeup was for 3.x it is about the same in 4.x I do believe.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
OK, scratch the previous, turrets-like post.

I have set up 4 of my own iPhones over the last 2-3 years and I've also up to 15 phones owned by other people all connecting to Gmail as at least one of the servers.

http://email.about.com/od/iphonemai...l_in_iPhone_Mail_Step_by_Step_Screenshots.htm

The only thing I could see that was wrong is that now you can have multiple exchange accounts set up. Also, like it shows the connection to the server may fail the first time through which will then reveal a new field to enter the actual server address.

Also, there are recommended client settings beyond connectivity that improve optimability (It'll be a reall word some day).

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78892

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't think the IMAP protocol has the native ability to push.

IICR, before Google had the exchange capability they would send a trigger message through Apple's push notification service to get the phone to initiate a connection back to the mail server. It never really worked very well but thankfully I didn't have to put up with it long.