Go Pro

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Does anyone use the video cameras of the Go Pros brand? I have a user that will be doing some snorkeling in the ocean and wants one for good quality HD videos of the underwater species. The camera must be easy to use and lightweight, so I thought of the Go Pros. I have about $500 budget (sans memory) and am not sure which is the best version or color to buy for underwater use. Thanks.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have the Hero 4 Black, and it is a good camera with 2 caveats.

1. Wide-angle lens. Really wide. I don't know if there is an aftermarket way to fix this, but doubt it would fit in the watertight enclosure.
2. No view-finder. They do sell a small LCD that can mount to the back of the camera, and a modified underwater housing to fit it, but that might exceed your budget. Also, with the wide-angle and 4k video, you might be able to shoot blindly and center your subject via crop in post.

ddrueding

Fixture
Interestingly enough, the camera on my DJI Phantom 3 Pro uses the same sensor as my GoPro, but with a much better lens and no fish-eye.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
We have an older hero 2 that I've had down to 150'. For my model it came with a splash case good to 100' or so. The dive case is good to about 200' and more importantly has the flat lens to correct picture sharpness underwater. We color correct after shooting but you might consider a red filter if they are considering more than just snorkeling. The wide angle can be reduced in camera.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think her head will be connected to the snorkel somehow. I really don't undersTand all that watersport stuff. Does the resolution affect the angle, i.e., is 1080p a crop from 4K or a downed sample?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I would certainly hope so. Most divers I've seen will hand hold the camera. I prefer a handle to gripping the case directly.