Good Place to Buy RJ-45 Wall Jacks & Stuff

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Hi-

I'm adding some network cable to my house so I can have wall jacks in various rooms (including the basement) to share my internet connection, printer etc..

Where is a good place to buy Cat5 10/100 wall jacks and faceplates from? I already have about 200 feet of Cat5 cable, a Cable/DSL router, and a 10/100 hub (for network branches in the basement), what else do I need to get this job done?

Thanks,
C

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
Try Milestek

You might want a patch panel if you're adding a lot of jacks, and a punchdown tool for setting these up depending on what type of jacks you buy (they have some plastic 'one-use' things that work fine for small projects).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Try www.cableconn.com.

Since you're fairly new to networking, I'd also recommend that you head over to blackbox.com and request a catalog. I wouldn't buy anything from them - their stuff isn't cheap, but their catalog is a good enough instrument that my applied datacomm class used it for a textbook.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for all the input guys!! Time to go shopping!

C

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
If you're looking to pick up equipment without any hassle, you may be surprised to learn that Home Depot carries Leviton's line of keystone ethernet/video/audio jacks (and a huge array of related equipment). Both Home Depot and Lowes stores also carry Cat 5e networking cable (plenum and non-plenum) in 1000' spools.

I've been really impressed: Leviton, a company that used to be a "traditional" electrical manufacturer, evidently had the vision to branch into something new like data networking, home audio and video distribution systems, etc. I've been quite stunned by the amount of "new technology" equipment they've been releasing.

I'm still in the process of networking my parent's home (and replacing their existing telephone wiring, and adding a video distribution system complete with video cameras). It's been far easier for me to head over to Home Depot and pick up whatever I need, rather than ordering stuff online.

Check out that link - you may be surprised by what's available locally these days. The Home Depot stores in Virginia and North Carolina that I've been in have carried a good selection of the products Leviton is offering; their online store evidently carries even more of their product range.

Mercutio

Home Depot works really well for quick purchases but I can ususally find thnigs cheaper online. Except for Cat5. Home Depot is absolutely the place to buy Cat5.

Menards (but not HD) also sells a $100, wall-mount 4U rack in their telco wiring section. Never bought one, but it's still cool to see. :)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
Menards (but not HD) also sells a $100, wall-mount 4U rack in their telco wiring section. Never bought one, but it's still cool to see. :)

Yes, it is! I didn't really draw out that aspect very well in my post.

I shop for my network wiring/jacks at Home Depot really for two reasons:

1) I want stuff now. Not in 2 days, not overnight. Now. Shipping via express takes too long. :wink: (Not to mention adding to the price.)

2) I want to encourage vendors of "traditional" goods to continue branching into newer territory. This is a major point with me ... I know many would just tell me I'm crazy and tell me to look for better deals online, but I'll try to explain why I do my best to prove to these traditional vendors that they do have a market for this stuff.

Point #2 goes right back to what you said Mercutio .. it is cool to see. When I stop to think about it, seeing hardware stores carrying networking products really just amazes me.

It reminds me of back in the mid-1990's, when slowly I began to see places like grocery stores carrying computer software and media. That amazed me back then too. Nowadays, I can go to any drug store ... a drug store ... and have an extremely good chance at finding some blank floppy disks and packages of CD-Rs. That rocks! It's so useful! And it's amazing to me.

Ever since the mid 1980's, when I first started working with computers, one of the real drags was that it was such a niche thing to be interested in. Options were few, and if I needed anything, it usually meant a trip to one place: Radio Shack. Occasionally, if my father were up to the drive, I might be able to make it to one of the dedicated computer shops. But they were a long way away, and that was how it was for a long time. (And I lived in California ... god knows how hard it would have been for people interested in computers back then in, say, Maine.)

So that's my "foundation" if you will, as to how I view the world as it changes with respect to computers. Every once in a while I'm amazed again as yet more technology becomes so commonplace that you can find everyday-type vendors selling the kinds of things that used to be so hard to find. It reminds me how difficult it used to be to find cool stuff, and how I couldn't possibly have imagined back then how common computer technology would become.

It also adds an element of reassurance - that I wasn't crazy to have been interested in computer stuff back in the late 1980's. Or that I was dreaming about networking a home in the mid-1990's. Eventually everyone else realized that I was right ... that what I was looking at really was kind of a neat potential. I just beat them to the realization. You know the feeling? Mercutio or anyone else feel like that sometimes?

Mercutio

I think our house was networked in 1990...

My father is such a technophile that, growing up, I didn't even realize how much I knew about computers. I mean, I *really* didn't know how much I knew about them. I mean, I was fixing PCs in high school, since grown-ups paid me usually $20/hour to work, which beat fast food, but I never took computer classes, never cracked a book, never consciously learned anything. Putting computers (I remember working on Apollo workstations, f'r instance) together, stringing Cat3 (we started with cat3) into punch blocks... those were weekend projects just about as prosaic as hanging wallpaper or scraping up old linoleum tile.

Then I got to college and came to the shocking realization that my background wasn't normal. I was majoring in biology, running a roomful of SGI machines in a research lab, networking the floor of the dormitory where I lived (it made sense to do it, dammit - and by my third year in the dorm, my network had 86 nodes running five different operating systems on four floors of the building), and skipping all my classes to work on computer-related stuff (not to make money, but because it seemed more important to get someone's PC running)... until one of my professors noticed and suggested that maybe I ought to major in something more closely related to computers.

So I went into CS, and found the people there just as useless, mostly, although I at least gave up being a full time techie and actually sat down to learn some things, nearly all of which I've now forgotten.

So, computers to me are the most utterly commonplace things in the world. That Menards and Walgreens would sell computer-stuff is to me not an awesome thing at all, but manifest destiny.

PS, my personal favorite Menards-toy is a 4-port 10baseT hub the the size and shape of a wall plate. It's $50 and perfect for a lot of little networking jobs.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks again guys.

For me, the ability to order and have the stuff delivered to me is important. I have a lot of stuff to do when I get home from work (take care of the house, cars, homeowork, yard-work, dinner, wife, etc.) so I like to be able to order the stuff and have it delivered for me to use/install at my convenience. I'm in no rush to get things, usually, because there is always something else that needs to get done anyway. Driving to stores, if I can avoid it, is just a waste of time for me that is well worth whatever UPS or Fedex charges.

I just ordered the wire strippers, faceplates and back-plates, RJ-45 jacks.

C

Mercutio

No punch-down stuff? Punching strands is all the fun!

Seriously, it's a fun way to deal with aggressive tendencies.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I found everything I wanted at Milesteck and just made the impulse buy. The shipped it the same day!

C

SteveC

Storage is cool
Mercutio said:
PS, my personal favorite Menards-toy is a 4-port 10baseT hub the the size and shape of a wall plate. It's $50 and perfect for a lot of little networking jobs.

Do you know who makes those, and where else I could get them? It sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Steve