Goog VCR for a decent price?

Radboy

What is this storage?
Need new VCR.

Don't need anything fancy, altho I'd like 4-head & Hi-Fi. Prolly don't need Super-VHS, but it wouldn't hurt.

Looking for recommendations & place to order online. Heard good things about Mits & JVC.

Appreciate any insight

Radboy.gif

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Rad-

The Goog brand of VCRs might be difficult to find. Did you have a price range in mind?

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Clocker said:
Rad-

The Goog brand of VCRs might be difficult to find. Did you have a price range in mind?

C

Or is Goog an old format like beta or something?

Radboy

What is this storage?
I would edit the spelling error if I could find the 'edit' button.

GOOD (not goog).

The cheaper the better.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Rad- I was just messin' with ya!

This looks like one of the best prices you will find on an inexpensive JVC Unit (although it is from worst-buy):

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11099052&m=1&cat=31&scat=243

I've had good luck with my JVC VCR. No problems with it. It is just a basic VCR although I rarely used it. My parents still use it. One feature of the above unit that sounds (or should I say looks) decent is that it allows you to play S-VHS tapes at normal VHS resolution .

Maybe one of these coupons will work for you?:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=bestbuy+coupon

C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a low-end JVC SVHS deck that I like a bunch. Don't remember the model number, but I've had it for over a year now.

I ran through a couple of Sony VCRs in 15 months. I'd stay away from anything they have, but my Panasonic has been good to me as well.

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
I have a low-end JVC SVHS deck that I like a bunch. Don't remember the model number, but I've had it for over a year now.

I ran through a couple of Sony VCRs in 15 months. I'd stay away from anything they have, but my Panasonic has been good to me as well.

Maybe the Sony of today isn't as good as the Sony of yesterday. I have a Sony HIFI 4 head VHS VCR that works like a champ and it was purchased back in 1990... The calendar is even Y2K compliant! I'd say the $450 was well worth it back then, as I haven't had to buy a VCR in 12 years. :)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't mean to change the direction but I think Sony sucks. It's just one experience I know, but I just had to pay $180 to have my 6 year old 27" Trinitron repaired. I expect more than 6 years of light service (hell, I use my PC monitor more) from a TV I paid a nice price premium for.

Now, back to VCRs....I don't think there are that many places to find good deals on consumer electronics such as VCRs, and DVD players online. It always seems that I find as good or a better deal at a local store such as Best Buy. Why? My theory is that most of the places online don't turn over their invintory as fast as the larger chains and are stuck with inventory that they paid a higher price for than the brick-n-mortar competition.

Computer hardware is a different story (limited availability in big chains, lack of consumer understanding/purchasing). That's why we find teh best deals on PC hardware online.

C

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:

Just to confuse matters, my Panasonic PV-7451 stopped behaving prematurely so I bought a Sony SLVN55 to replace, which is OK so far (1.5 years). I suppose it depends on what sort of lifetime you expect from these sorts of things. They do seem to be more and more like disposable razors.

Like Handruin, I had one of those late 80's Sony VCRs, which lasted me and then my sister about 12 years, and was still fine when it was stolen from her apartment. I'm still watching a 27" Sony from 1987.

Mercutio

Electronics are tougher to call. The best luck I've had was through dealers I found through Ebay. There are still lots of small shops in the world looking to cut a deal.

I've also gone through dealtime.com and found some good bargains.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Check out Yahoo Shopping if you are looking for a good deal on consumer electronics. The prices I find on there are generally 20% lower than Best Buy. Sometimes even lower, and I have never had a problem with any of the Yahoo Shopping stores before.

A good example is the JVC HR-S2901. Best Buy charges $129.99 for it, I found it on Yahoo Shopping for $99. Plus, the shipping doesn't matter that much because you have to pay sales tax at Best Buy anyways.

Who wants to help out evil Best Buy anyways?

Mercutio

Most Yahoo stores will hit you with a 10% "handling" charge on top of normal shipping, too. Ouch.

Sometimes if you call you can browbeat them into standard shipping charges, though.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I've had, from '93 to today, 9 JVC VCRs. All but 3 were mid to high-end consumer S-VHS decks. All but 1 are still operational; the one that I tossed out was bought refurbed and never worked quite right to begin with.

Overall, they have been excellent. The elder statesman, circa 1993, HR-S6800U blew a power supply a few years back because of a storm. No other repairs of note against the whole fleet.

And they've seen tons of use. While they don't get much active usage now, that crop of decks, when I was distributing anime fansubs, cranked out over 20,000 VHS & SVHS tapes for anime fans around the world, including the countries of all of the SF members (unless we have anyone from Japan here).

I've sold off the HiFi units and have so far kept the S-VHS decks as I've not had the opportunity to pass them on to someone who needs one (the friends I've recommended JVC decks to still use theirs & haven't needed replacements).

From memory since I'm at the office right now, I've got 2 9600s, 1 9500, 1 5400, and the old 6800 mentioned earlier. The 9x00 units have a TBC to improve image quality and provide clear images when doing FF/RW scans. The 6800 was/is excellent because it had 2 sets of audio outputs so I could feed 2 decks using their own audio (no splitters) & both the S-video & composite video outs. Later on, once the # of decks grew, I purchased A/V distribution amps so 1 master deck could send a signal to all the slave decks with minimal signal degradation (no daisy chaining).

Radboy, if you're in the Chicagoland area, I'll sell you one of the decks for a good price. But I'm afraid it wouldn't be worth it to ship one out.

- Fushigi

Handruin

Administrator
DrunkenBastard said:
Handruin said:
Mercutio said:
Sony A/V stuff isn't, that's for sure.

How about Digital cams? I was sorta eyeballing this one.

(I'll stop changing the thread now)

The S85 is a nice digicam, www.dpreview.com has a good review on it. Nice sharp pics. Shame it only takes those cursed memory sticks.

That's funny, the link I included is from dpreview. I thought the images they have on their site look really nice...