Great drive recoveries, or "Living with Western Digital

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Had a WD400JB die without any warning whatsoever. In fact, I checked the S.M.A.R.T. values the day before - everything checked out just fine. Remind me not to bother spending much time checking S.M.A.R.T. in future ...

I've been fretting about this drive for about six months; after all, it is a WD and is noisy as well. Plus, I've just had a bad feeling about it.

Anyway, it turns out that daughter number two had several gigabytes of content on it that wasn't in the backup plan. :( Time for the Lazarus act.

Surpisingly, the distributor still had 400JBs in stock, so I raced off late on the Friday to grab one. Unfortunately, the PCB layout had changed in the intervening year and a half, eg. an extra locating lug. Any opinions on whether this might have worked anyway?

Luckily, I managed to track down one of roughly similar vintage, and after backing it up (it was in use), swapped the controller and voila! It then took nearly two hours to get the data off onto a spare drive, but gee, it's nice when this works.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I am guessing the similar vintage one you found had almost the same full part number as your dead drive? WD400AB-xxxx?