GRRR: Trying to install both Adaptec UW card, and ATTO LVD..

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Having fits.

I've got an UW adaptec 2940 card, and I'm trying to connect my external raid box to my pc. It was a mac box.

When I boot, it says it's booting off the ATTO card, but, it's changing my hard drive ID from C to D.

Can't figure out why.

I've moved the scsi ID for the 2940 to 15, and the drives are set at

I believe the ATTO card is at SCS ID 0, so it should be the boot drive.

What I can't figure out is why it insists on changing my ATTO startup raid from drive c to d....

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Figured it out. I had to disable the host adaptor bios on the adaptec card, so the computer goes to the next bootable scsi card, the atto.

The other alternative is to play musical cards, in the different pci slots.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
ROFL!!!

Wow!! You must work for Dell!!!
:mrgrn:

I think I might have lost my first Cheetah. It's one of the old 4.5 gig UW disks, and it's not showing up in 2000.

Once I get done formatting the other 3 drives, I may try and go back and format it, using the bios from the card. Wonder if it's not showing up because I started to format it twice, and pulled the plug both times?

All that was happening was the light on the drive was flashing, but nothing was being written to the drive. In retrospect, I'm pretty sure it's a dead drive.

When I format the other disks, the indicator lights are going crazy.

Guess I'll just pull it, and use it for a door stop. Weird that it was working in the MAC 9.22, but, I have had problems with the box in the past hanging the system. Maybe it's that drive.

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Buck:
When I format with 2000 it shows the disks as being dynamic, vs. simple for the atto raid.

WHY?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Does your dodgy Cheetah appear when using Disk Management? Perhaps it just needs a format/drive letter assignment.

Surely you would have wanted the boot drive as ID 0? Anyway glad you got it sorted.

Wierd them showing up as dynamic, usually win2k installs as basic and then you need to manually "upgrade" them to dynamic. Actually if you add drives after win2k is installed IIRC it will default upgrade them to dynamic in the "add new drive" wizard, you need to untick that box. Of course I may have just had too many Bombay Sapphires and Indian Tonic Waters.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Pradeep:
Since the drives are on different cards, I didn't think their scsi ID's would be a big deal. I could be wrong.

After I get done backing up my documents folder, I'm going to reboot, after I change that drive to a different id number, just in case...

gs

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I only wondered because usually the HBA would have SCSI ID 7. Could save confusion later on if you shuffle things around. If the card looks for the drive at ID 0 to boot, and the card itself is at 0, it may shititself?

Was your external SCSI box running ATTO RAID previously?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, I copied all my stuff to disk for backup, then started the machine again, moving the scsi id for that disk to 6, and the card is currently working fine at 15.

That's the adaptec card. I'm using the adaptec formatting tool to format, but, according to my disk i/o lights, nothings happening. However, the hard disk does have a light that is flashing on and off, showing activity.

Problem is, it could take an hour to format the disk :bibber:

I'm going to wait, and see if the partial format I did was the problem before.

Just pisses me off that the formating tool takes so long from the card.

Should have left it alone, and done it through 2000.

What I found really strange was I switched the drives over, and they were formatted the old mac format.

2000 saw them, and allowed formatting no problem, with 3 of the 4 disks.

The 0 disk was also the one I started formatting, and then stopped, because it looked like their was no disk activity.

I could have been wrong...

gs