Hamachi

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's ages since I used this service. The scenario is that I can no longer establish a VPN tunnel to a (very) remote client - I suspect the router that lives behind the DSL modem is on its last legs (8 or 9 years old).

Trying to configure a replacement over the phone hasn't gone well, so I sent a Hamachi link to one of the users. The LogMeIn management tool can see the host PC, but I can't ping it, let alone establish an RDP connection. Both ends are Windows 7 and I'm sure I've managed this configuration before - what am I missing this time?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Did the user set the firewall rule for the new network connection to allow any sort of interaction or did he choose "Public" when he was prompted? Because that would explain the inability to ping and such.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
For me, Hamachi is suddenly broken with the dreaded "Failed to connect to the Hamachi servers. Would you like Hamachi to monitor server availability and establish a connection as soon as it becomes possible?".

Am I the only one, or is it affecting others?

Mercutio

The only place where I've found to be Hamachi anything less than fully reliable is notebook computers, since Windows is kind of stupid about renegotiating the connection after it's been a sleep or suspend state. I get around that by turning my laptop off when I take it someplace, but it's a problem I know some people have.

I will also say that I use NSSM to ensure that Hamachi stays running all the time since the default behavior after an upgrade (which are done silently and, since it's at least technically a security tool, kind of need to be applied) is to set the service to "Do Nothing" if it stops.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Problem went away overnight. Therefore, the numerous posts complaining that Hamachi servers are oversubscribed may well be correct. Have been OK since, so it might have been a temporary Hamachi equipment failure (unreported of course).

Mercutio

Might be another one of those things where Oceania has issues because it's Oceania. Or maybe I don't see it because I have a paid account?