Hard drive predictions for 2003

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
To summarize: 5400rpm drives are going away, SATA drives are beginning to be adopted, enterprise SCSI is moving to 15,000rpm, and, to give away the ending, drive manufactures are gonna ship more drives this year than last.

That took cold, hard look at the industry, didn't it? ;)

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
5400rpm drives are going away

I've noticed all of CompUSA's specials lately are 7200 RPM. I'm sure they still have 5400 RPM in stock, but at this point I don't see them advertised. I'm hoping they have a nice clearance sale soon on 5400 RPM. I'll stock up on some bulk storage. :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I bought a bunch of newish, dead drives off ebay a few weeks ago. $30 + shipping got me a little over 300GB of disks. All but one had a usable warranty (the one was a 30GB compaq OEM drive). I had to send them all in as RMAs, but for maybe $70 all told, I'm more than happy with "bulk storage".

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
This made me wonder:
"Drives in enterprise systems will accelerate their move to 15,000 rpm technology as new manufacturers enter the market"

What manufacturer would that be? AFAIK Seagate, IBM/Hitachi, Fujitsu & Maxtor already have 15krpm drives. So, does the above mean Maxtor, as their drive is not on sale yet?

Jan

Dïscfärm

Jan Kivar said:
This made me wonder:
"Drives in enterprise systems will accelerate their move to 15,000 rpm technology as new manufacturers enter the market"

What manufacturer would that be?
  • elux_choice.jpg
    atlas10kiii.gif

Mickey

Jan Kivar said:
This made me wonder:

What manufacturer would that be? AFAIK Seagate, IBM/Hitachi, Fujitsu & Maxtor already have 15krpm drives. So, does the above mean Maxtor, as their drive is not on sale yet?

Jan
I suspect it'd be everyone but Seagate, as they (last I checked) held something like 70% of the high-end market. If each of the remaining competitors starts nibbling away at Seagate's market share, prices should drop and more enterprise systems will start using 15K drives.