Hard Drive Test at Anands

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Am I missing something? Why the f' did they test a 75GXP against two Raptors? Were no 60GXPs available?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
t is all too often that we look at hard drives as capacities alone, but while a 80GB drive may be suiting your needs just fine an upgrade to a newer 120+ GB drive will give you more space and a performance boost to match. The thing to keep in mind is that the more up-to-date you keep your hard drive performance, the faster your system will feel and the more performance you'll get out of every upgrade of your CPU, motherboard, chipset, etc.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Our tests have also shown us that the 10,000RPM Raptor can offer a noticeable, but not dramatic, performance improvement over the current generation 7200RPM 8MB cache drives. While the performance improvement is there, it's not as significant as the synthetic tests would have you believe.

I think this answers Andy's question. The newer Raptors are not worth the price premium.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Clocker said:
Our tests have also shown us that the 10,000RPM Raptor can offer a noticeable, but not dramatic, performance improvement over the current generation 7200RPM 8MB cache drives. While the performance improvement is there, it's not as significant as the synthetic tests would have you believe.

I think this answers Andy's question. The newer Raptors are not worth the price premium.

Indeed it has. Although if I decided I needed the extra storage space I might go with the Raptor II's. But if I really wanted space I could also get a 7200 RPM 8 MB drive for about the same price but get what, more than twice the storage space?