Having USB KVM compatability with Nvidia difficulty

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Got my new Gigabyte K8N-SLI PRO and am having lots of problems trying to get my USB based KVM to work with it. I need suggestions on how to get to Nvidia to get a working windows driver, but I can't see a way for an end user to submit problems with their chipsets or drivers. They require you to go through your manufacturer, which I am doing through Gigabyte but getting nowhere with their support.

To Summarize the problem:
-The The KVM works on other computers no matter what, even in DOS/BIOS as long as the correct BIOS options are enabled.
-Other USB devices work on this motherboard fine.
-The KVM works on this motherboard in the BIOS and DOS.
-When the USB driver is loaded in windows it locks up my KVM and I can't use it at all, even if I switch to other computers.
-Temporary fix is to use a PCI USB card so I can use this KVM on this motherboard inside windows because Nvidia's driver does not work with my KVM. I need the slot for another card so I can't leave it like this. Also you can't use this for BIOS/DOS applications as the card needs OHCI drivers to be loaded.
-IOgear and other sources have indicated that this is a problem with ALL NFORCE 4 CHIPSET MOTHERBOARDS. This is not Gigabytes problem but I can not contact Nvidia directly.

Below is from IOgear support:
Subject RE: IOGear GCS1734 need firmware update does not work with NVIDIA !!!

We are working with nForce on this issue. They have yet to supply a fix for this. The only fix as of now is the USB card. I have no date for when a fix will be out.
Thanks,
Service Support

For those who will ask:
-using nforce drivers from Nvidia's website V6.70, latest
-after those are installed if you visit Gigabytes website they have a neat update portion that works like windows update and gives you the ability to download a new USB driver and a couple others. Unfortunately that USB driver changed nothing.
-I think the problem lies with Nvidia although it could likely be fixed with some firmware in the KVM.
-I already know the KVM is picky, IOgear states it won't work with wireless mouse. It almost worked fine with my Logitech MX1000 though, just an occasional movement of the pointer that I didn't do.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Logitech has posted on their web site that the software that comes with their mice will not work through a KVM switch. I have the same mouse on a KVM switch. Sotfware does not work.

What operating system. XP needs SP2 and then you must go into Device Manager and manually add the drivers.

Bozo :mrgrn:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Bozo:
Actually I don't load the software for the MX1000, I just used it as is. Only keys I cared about was the back forward and the side scrolling, which worked by the way. I am now using a Microsoft Explorer 3.0 and all the buttons work on that too, so I am happy. Device manager calls it a HID Compliant Mouse as it sees it through the KVM. I am thinking of upgrading to a wired Logitech MX518 for the additional precision, I got pretty used to the precision of the MX1000. This is of course way down on my list of priorities.

Will:
BIOS version is F6, the board shipped with this. Now that you mention it I see an F7 available. Will try that later tonight but updates say nothing on USB.
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-K8N Pro-SLI.htm

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Bozo said:
XP needs SP2 and then you must go into Device Manager and manually add the drivers.

It is XP SP2. You are refering to the mouse drivers or something for the KVM here?

Thank you all.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
USB drivers. For some reason they are not automatically installed.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Bozo said:
USB drivers. For some reason they are not automatically installed.

You refering to the chipset USB drivers from the nvidia package? They show installed, no question marks in device manager.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well I updated the BIOS to the F7, loaded BIOS defaults, diabled the AC97 along with the serial and paralell ports, just like I had it before. Had no effect on my being able to use the KVM on the motherboard headers, acts the same.

Now for some reason Windows is asking to load audio drivers and my add in OHCI USB card is not working so I don't get a keyboard and mouse through it either. I checked the AC97 (still disabled) and pulled out my X Mystique, windows STILL wants to load audio drivers, I am guessing for something that doesn't exist?

I put my USB card into the other slot and that still doesn't work, windows doesn't see it. This is a simple card with firewire and usb on it, with OHCI you just put it in and XP installed it and it works. I don't get it.

My nvidia/amd experience is going rapidly down hill. Luckily I have a PS/2 keyboard I can use to troubleshoot with.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I must have finger fumbled the AC97 disable, was still enabled in BIOS so that's what it was trying to do.

As far as the USB add in card the solution was to pull it out completely, boot up show windows what it looked like without it, shut down add it back in and then it worked again.

So now basically back to square 1 with a new BIOS revision.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
On XP installs I've found that XP does not install it's own drivers.
If you go to 'Properties' in the USB devices (USB Mass Storage Device) and have it upgrade the drivers automatically.
I've found that USB deices start to work then.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
OK, Connect to windows update to check for newer, install automatically etc, I get it now.

Not one device under there had a response different than windows could not find a better match for your device etc.

Maybe I should have mentioned I have already gone through windows update.

Sol

Storage is cool
You could try disabling the usb keyboard and mouse support in the bios. The windows hid drivers should still work (although I guess you would need a ps2 keyboard to get into the bios afterwards).
In theory that might take some of the onus off the chipset as far as figuring out the keyboard and mouse connections. You could also try hooking up your KVM via a seperate usb hub.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Sol said:
You could try disabling the usb keyboard and mouse support in the bios. The windows hid drivers should still work (although I guess you would need a ps2 keyboard to get into the bios afterwards). I tried that, either way it's the same result in windows
In theory that might take some of the onus off the chipset as far as figuring out the keyboard and mouse connections. You could also try hooking up your KVM via a seperate usb hub.I might pick one up to test this idea with, I am guessing a powered hub would be best

Good suggestions. The part that gets me is that with the keyboard support enabled in the BIOS I can nagigate the BIOS with the KVM and even use the keyboard and mouse with Partition Magic rescue disks or Ghost boot floppys. I believe this is telling me it's not a hardware problem.

Nvidia's site seems very intent in blocking all access to their support and pointing to the OEM's. I pretty much spelled it out for Gigabyte's support but I don't see them going to far with the problem.