HD size limit for BX chipset

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Does anybody know the size limit for HD's for the BX chipset? Specifically the Abit BH6.

I really don't know what I'm going to do with it (+ Celeron 300A), maybe set it up as a server and leave it on.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Can't say for your specific board but my AOpen AX6B had no problem with my 100 GB Maxtor before I installed a Promise controller. Assuming the board's latest BIOS is dated 1998 or later you should be OK with anything up to 137 GB.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance

Jan Kivar

Too early to say anything drastic. I don't have any experience from Seagate Barracuda (IV/V) line, but this drive is really quiet. Sounds more a fan than a HD.

I just started a thread @ SilentPCReview about the Samsung SP1213N; if You are interested/want to see my opinions, read it here.

Cheers,

Jan

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Anyone used 160GB drives in a BH6? It finds 137GB, but doing a 10GB partition on it and installing XP doesnt get it to boot from the drive...
What to do?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The JoJo said:
I got the oncrap software from samsung (crappy site, wants the serial number of the drive before download

Yeah. It's pox.

The only good thing is that you don't have to provide the right serial number - e.g., a drive I put in a machine the other day, which was already bolted in with case on: I used the serial number of some other drive and it worked just fine. Well, as fine as Disk Mangaler ever works anyway, which isn't very.

BTW, this was a guy running a Pentium 120 who wanted an 80GB drive. Absolutely positively wouldn't be talked out of it. Nope, not interested in upgrading the machine. Nope, a smaller drive would not do. Pentium 120 and 32MB of RAM and he wants an 80GB hard drive. What can you do?

Take the money, I suppose. That's what I did, anyway.

Handruin

Administrator
That is a helluva lot of drive space for a machine of that speed. Even with a PCI ATA card, I can't image the transfer rate is great.

If you gave the customer advise and they choose not to take it...take their money. :)

Computer Generated Baby

Tannin said:
BTW, this was a guy running a Pentium 120 who wanted an 80GB drive. Absolutely positively wouldn't be talked out of it...

Tannin, did I ever mention the story about me building a *crazy* computer system for a medical doctor stuck in the past? This was back around 1995.

Long story short: I don't normally go around building computers for other people, but a good friend of mine had me to build a "hot rod" computer for a rich doctor. The doctor had an old beat-to-hell yellowed-with-age 8MHz IBM AT with a 386 accelerator card in it with 2 MB of RAM and a pair of clickity-clackity Seagate ST-251 hard drives.

This guy was absolutely stuck in the early 1980s as far as application software goes and there was no converting him PERIOD! So, we went over some specs and ended up with a very fast computer (for that time) that was to be loaded with his quite ancient WordStar V2.x, somewhat-ancient Lotus 1-2-3 V3.0, olden-goldie QuarterDeck Expanded Memory Manager, and I believe CrossTalk (though it might've been Hayes Smartcom) modem communications software. The operating system was to be his beloved existing copy of MSDOS V3.3. Neither Windows 3.1 or the new (then) Windows 95 was to be bought for this box (his final decision) since he "would never have a use for such."

Hardware ended up being "the fastest computer with the best/fastest hard drive available." I suspect his intentions were to build a computer worth keeping for the next ten years -- sorta like his IBM AT. The computer ended up being a mid-sized tower chassis (can't recall brand at all / doesn't matter), an AMI Pentium Pro mobo with a 200 MHz Pentium Pro, 2 MB of RAM, and a newly-released 5400 RPM 5¼-inch 2 GB Micropolis SCSI hard drive (note: this was when Micropolis was still "good"). MSDOS 6.x was out at the time, and I recall the ludicrous detail of having to partition his large hard drive into 20+ each 32 MB partitions.

In the end, after wrestling with QEMM -- then upgrading it to work with this newer *faster* (read: incompatible due to system speed) -- everything worked great and the system did just about everything instantaneously.