HL2 Level Load Time

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Sometimes it takes levels about 15-20 seconds to load. Is that normal for this game?

Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm running relatively high res (1680x1050) with all the good stuff turned on.

Thanks,
C

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I think the preload option, plus higher res textures are the main culprit... I think you're probably about the same speed as me if I remember correctly. I prefer to pre-load instead of having in game choppyness though...

Handruin

Administrator
No that isn't normal. It usually takes me 45-60 seconds to load a level. :)

:lol:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
I think the preload option, plus higher res textures are the main culprit... I think you're probably about the same speed as me if I remember correctly. I prefer to pre-load instead of having in game choppyness though...

Hmm. I'll have to find out what that's all about.

My load times are probably closer to 30-40 seconds now that think about it...7k250's are decent I guess.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Blake...what do you mean I preload? FYI, I installed it off DVD (no download).

C

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
There is a preload option that loads information (I assume mostly textures) at the level start time instead of during play. This is an option with both Halflife Engines.

My load times are based mainly of CS:Source as I have actually not been very interested in HL2 itself.

btw, I bought the CD version, but installed HL2 through steam online instead of via the CDs.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I seem to recall load times for HL2 levels in the 45 - 60 range as well. They seemed unduly long, given the PC I used to play HL2 (3GB RAM, 64/3500, 9800XT). Even Source Halflife has longer load times... and graphics that are about 0% improved over the Blue Shift high-res pack.

I know there's a great game buried somewhere in there, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Clocker, your level load times are about the same as mine. (30-45)

If you want to play with those preload commands, just create an autoexec.cfg file with these lines in it:
Code:
cl_forcepreload 1
sv_forcepreload 1

...and stick it in the \Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\<username>\half-life 2\hl2\cfg\
directory.

cl_forcepreload [0,1] - If set to 1 forces all information to preload, reducing loading pauses and stuttering by not loading information on the fly.

sv_forcepreload [0,1] - If set to 1, forces server-side preloading, once again reducing loading pauses.

I didn't bother with those, it runs great without them.

BTW, Check this.

The biggest tweak improvement I felt that I made was to tack several beneficial switches onto the startup shortcut.

My shortcut:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 220 -heapsize 256000 -refresh 85 -novid

Those switches are explained here. (Command Line Commands)

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Mercutio said:
I know there's a great game buried somewhere in there, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

I hear ya, Merc. Actually, I think my HL2 install is corrupted. I run the game to fight serious battles against the oppressors of the human race but all I get is monkey business.