Holy crap does Half Life 2 took good

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
image-o-matic.x

The details of those buildings, the shadows... wow.

Handruin

Administrator
I can't wait to see the expression they talk about. I'm really surious where the story is going to go with this game. I hope they don't make it plot-less.

We'll have to have an SF HL2 party if the game turns out to be good.

Mercutio

Judging by my spelling in this thread, I must've taken the brown acid again.

Reading the review, it sounds like there's real plot. I don't think that much time would be taken with facial expressions if the characters were just decoration.

I actually finished Half Life and all the expansions. Half-Life so far as been pretty good on a literary level.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
The game sounds like it will be fun but what I REALLY want is Counter Striker based on it!

I'm finishing school (in 6 weeks) just it time to just dive into this game!
C

Piyono

Storage is cool
Clocker said:
The game sounds like it will be fun but what I REALLY want is Counter Striker based on it!

I'm finishing school (in 6 weeks) just it time to just dive into this game!
C

You said it, Clocker!
Counter-Strike on the HL2 engine would be un-freakin'-believabe, to use the vernacular.
I'm quite confident we'll be seeing plenty of mods in the months following HL2's release. I can only imagine (read: hope and pray) that CS will be ported to or rewriten for the new engine.

Ants in my pants!

Piyono

zx

Learning Storage Performance
There's no plans for CS on HL2. Right now, the next step for CS is version 1.6 and condition zero. I can't see it ported on HL2 anytime soon :(.

At least, we don't have to get used to different gameplay :D ....for now.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
one of the things I find interesting is no one mentioned the sound on the original halflife. It was the first 3D game that I played where I was not only impressed by the graphics, but also by the sound.

It features great stereo seperation(if maybe a little too great), distance based sound loss, and environmental audio effects.

For example, when somebody walks on concrete outside and then they go inside on the same concrete surface, you can really tell exactly where they are and what they're doing. Being able to easily pin point someone's exact location is quite a feat in a 3D game.

The one disapointment about HL's sound engine is that it doesn't seem to work well with a3D or EAX. I'm hoping that HL2 will continue with the great sound, but will support these more advanced features.

Mercutio

I'm pretty sure Half-Life was one of the first titles to support EAX, blake. Seemed to work pretty well for me.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Mercutio said:
I'm pretty sure Half-Life was one of the first titles to support EAX, blake. Seemed to work pretty well for me.

The EAX sound is awful in my opinion (SB Live or otherwise) sounds that are supposed to be coming from you sound echo and their positioning is wrong... sounds coming from others are ok.. but I think sounds are best when set to high quality with A3D and EAX turned off.