HomePlug

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Anybody have any experience with HomePlug networking? I found some good prices on the hardware, and I've read some reviews, but I wondered how well this technology works. I'm not looking for a speed demon--it's supposed to run at 14 Kbs--just a reliable connection to my upstairs computers.

Thoughts?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
No experience with it. The concept has been around for quite some time and judging by the players named at homeplug.org, it seems like it should work. But I haven't read much about it and don't know how well it works across circuit breakers (err, switched LAN segments :p ) and if your data could be read outside of your house (how far into the grid does your data travel? Can your neighbor see your data?).

- Fushigi

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
The data supposedly goes till the mains transformer that powers your house (and several others).

I've been thinking of using this system for the past year but never got round to looking into it in detail

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
NRG = mc² said:
The data supposedly goes till the mains transformer that powers your house (and several others).
That would mean it's open to many of the same security issues that plague wireless networks. Most important to realize is that your network doesn't end at the walls of your house. Like a wireless solution, with proper configuration it's probably not an issue. Is there an encryption protocol that can be used on all LAN traffic to keep the prying eyes from seeing your bits?

Personally, I went 802.11b and enabled 128bit WEP and everything else I could. No problems so far and I like the convenience of using the laptop anywhere without any cables.

- Fushigi

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
How much is it going to cost you for the neccessary equipment? What equipment will you need? (I assume you need a NIC and something like an access point (or another NIC and a computer connected to it running ICS)...

The alternative to this would be (1) the option similar to this but runs over home phone line (think 3com makes this)... (2) wireless 802.11b... and (3) hardwiring.

Hardwiring is usually the least expensive and fastest option(as well as the most reliable)... its only negative is that it can be hard to install and often involves the most physical work to install when you have to do several rooms in a house. The times when hardwiring are perfect is when you ahve two computers in close proximity and wiring can simply be laid behind the computers... or when routing is as simple as going through a single floor/wall/ceiling.

The other 3 are all very similar... the advantage to 802.11b is that it offers proven reliability and security while being capable of the highest speed (11Mbs). You also have the benefits of being wireless. Its cons are that it is often expensive, requires some knowledge to setup correctly, and may involve some troubleshooting to get things working reliably.

The last two (network over power outlets or home phone lines) have the slowest speeds available. They are probably the least tested, and probably have the worst security available. The reliability of them is probably determined to a large extent by the environment in which you run them and the quality of the hardware you purchase.

If you are connecting one or two computers this will probably be cheaper than wireless. This is the selling point, a cheap alternative to ethernet or wireless for people who simply need a connection and who have moderate needs. This is a good option for people who do not have the knowledge or skills to setup wireless or a wired network.

Personally, I would go for a wired network if possible. But this is because I do file sharing between computers often and I also want an extremely reliable network, so I have not even considered anything else. I also have the skills to crimp cables, patch dry wall, etc... so installation will pretty much just involve a decent chunk of time to get everything done.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
The device for connecting to the power plug costs around $90-100 - I presume you will need one for each device but I might be wrong.-I havent looked into it that much.

Wires are the best option in almost all aspect especially with gigabit cards becomeing more affordable, but the switch is still expensive for gigabit, and more importantly, snaking wires across the house isn't that practical.

We have 5 machines in the house and the wiring, especially the ones hanging down the steps and out of the windows aren't very nice to look at...

Of course, if you can break walls and pass them through thats not an issue but for me its not feasible (rented house, and havent got a clue how to pach it up again after the wires are in)

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
NRG = mc² said:
and havent got a clue how to pach it up again after the wires are in

:twistd:
  • Drill hole in dry-wall large enough to insert jigsaw.
  • Jigsaw out a square or rectangle large enough to work with and keep it undamaged.
  • Run cables and possibly mount a face plate

When it's time to find another place to live:
  • Spackle the area around the dry-wall using the removed portion as backing
  • Sand and paint

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Thanks for the advice, but I'm moving out of this place in June so maybe I'll do it in my next house :D

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
really, you can get a wide/large plastic putty knife (adaquate for one time use) and spackle for under $10 at your local hardware store.. and 1000ft of cat5e with 100 ends w/ crimper and tester can be had for under $50

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CAT5E-1000-SK

That puts it at about $70 or so to wire your entire house.... I should say that you can probably do one room per day + 1 day of padding.... 6 months is a long enough time in my opinion to to justify spending $70.

If you are wiring in an area where the cables will be obvious you should think about installing outlets(you can always take these with you when you move) I believe the last time i checked 2/3 position outlets were ~$10... and are modular (EX: you can use any combination of ethernet, phone, or coax to any of the 2 or 3 positions). The outlets are available at many hardware stores or electronic stores... shop around and you can probably find a deal.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Er.. just realised. Most of our walls are stone. Stone, not bricks. Need a JCB to make a hole in that!

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
I opted for the "cable from router, down the stairs into the family room" option. Why?

1) I rent my place, so cutting up drywall is not very practical

2) Faster connection

3) Less expensive

4) Much faster connection

5) I can simply unplug and hide the wires when not needed

It works. I have my downstairs system attached, reading my screen via a video out card and my television. I'm running a trial version of Showshifter, which organizes, lets me pick music, and will play video. (it will also act as a PVR, if you have a TV card hooked up). Pretty nifty little program for those of you with a PC attached to your entertainment center. You can get it here: http://www.showshifter.com

Anyway, thanks for the advice and input.

Doz

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I rent my apartment and I cut up the drywall. I got brave and re-did the phone jacks, since they used the huge, antiquated block connectors, and put in really nice 6-port wall jacks with 2 phone and four ethernet connections. I managed to hide the jacks in my wiring closet just above a shelf. Only someone who is exceptionally tall or dilligent would ever even see them, and no one who works for my apartment complex is dilligent.

Honestly, I don't think anyone here will notice when I move out.