Housecall in Firefox

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I was trying to get Housecall to work in Firefox to no avail. So I started searching and found this. A version of Housecall that uses Java and works in most web browsers and on several different operating systems that ActiveX would never work with.

If there is something similar on the US version of the site I couldn't find it.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I believe that there is at least one ActiveX plugin that should work for Firefox. This is, of course, a kluge, and opens up Firefox to many of the security risks inherent ActiveX.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Look, it's very simple.

There are two ways you can design a browser:
  • (a) Allow the remote system unfettered access to the local system, so that it can, essentially, do as it likes.
  • (b) Deny the remote system access to the local system, so that, essentially, it doesn't matter what the remote system does, it can't do any damage.

There are only two ways to design a browser. Anything in-between is just a hash-up with the advantages of neither.

Internet Explorer uses system (a). Mozilla uses system (b). So does Opera. So does Firefox. So does every other modern browser.

All real world browsers have errors and exceptions, but on the whole, Mozilla & Firefox & Opera deny any traffic that isn't explicitly permitted, where MSIE allows any traffic that isn't explicitly forbidden. (And, on the "if your mum says no, ask your dad, and if he says no, ask your sister" theory, can usually be relied upon to also allow explicitly forbidden traffic if the traffic is smart enough to ask nicely.

When you go to a random web site, you want a system (b) browser. Anything else is juzt plain stupid risk-taking. You could wind up with anything on your system.

On the other hand, there are certain web sites (Housecall and Windows Update are the obvious examples) where you actually want the remote site to go trawling through all your files and alter any that it takes a fancy to. For this task, and only for this task, you need a system (a) browser.

For Housecall and Windows Update, use IE. Any other browser that can use Housecall is too insecure to use anywhere else. For all other sites, use a modern, secure browser. Always. Or be prepared for all the hacks and infections and exploits and drama that accompany providing the world with unfettered access to your system.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
PS: hacking Firefox with Java add-ons to make it into a sort of second-rate Internet Explorer that is so insecure that you can run Housecall is defeating the entire point of having a quality modern browser.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Tea said:
PS: hacking Firefox with Java add-ons to make it into a sort of second-rate Internet Explorer that is so insecure that you can run Housecall is defeating the entire point of having a quality modern browser.

So you don't have any Java runtimes installed on your system at all?

I don't think there is any hack here at all. This version of housecall just uses the Java 2 runtimes; I already had them installed anyways.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I would have used IE, but it's screwed up and won't load housecall. I didn't feel like spending hours fixing it so I found an alternative.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(Tea adopts Maxwell Smart voice, manages to look extremely stupid.)

Ahh .. the old Internet Explorer so Totally Screwed Up that you Can't Run Housecall trick, eh?

Yeah, in that case, you have to buggerise about with whatever you can think of. It is possible to run Housecall on Netscape 4.x, believe it or not. I've tried but without success; Kristi has done it - but she says it only works maybe one time in 8 or 10.

That's a good point you raise about Java runtimes, Tim. I really should look a little more closely at what exactly is on my system. And also on exactly what things Java is and is not allowed to do. What point in barricading the front door when the window round the side is open?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Firefox won't run a suspicious Java applet unless you give it express permission. If you go to the site I linked above, and click scan my PC, firefox will ask you before running the applet.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I haven't had the problem since I don't use housecall. For those moments that I need to scan for viruses and can access the Internet, I just download and install NOD32 in Safe Mode.