How can I put an internal IDE ZIP drive to good use?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
A buddy of mine needed to make room in his PC for a CDRW so he had to pull out his IDE Zip100 drive. He gave it to me.

What is a good use for it?

C

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Do you have a Floppy Drive, CDR-W, and another (extra) Hard Disk Drive? Then there isn't much use for the Zip drive. Did he at least give you some media?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
1. Scraping mud off your shoes
2. Ballast
3. Very small speed bump
4. Home for wayward mites
5. Bookend
6. Blinking light to amuse children/household pets
7. Combine with IDE cable to make a crude sling
8. Cover all sides with duct tape, use as hip flask
9. Grind into powder; test effectiveness of Iomega products as aphrodisiacs
10. Attempt to single-handedly return central Michigan to a barter-based economy by offering Zip Drives for Beaver pelts.

:)

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Can you at least boot from an IDE zip on some systems? It would be nice to have a boot disk that actually has room for some utilities on the disk...

C

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
I have been using IDE zip drives for backup since they came out. A 100 meg model first, then upgraded to a 250 meg once they became available. I have never had a bit of trouble with either of the drives, the 250 that I mentioned above is still used daily.

The cartridges, unfortunately, have a finite life span. To date, I have had two die. Each gave a warning before going TU by becoming hard for the drive to read, followed by clicking noises from the drive while trying to access the cartridge, and then complete failure to read the cartridge after that. I am to understand this is often a result of dust damage to the media. On both occasions I has able to salvage the data by dumping it onto the HD before the cartridge died completely. Both of the cartridges that died on me had been in use for about 2 years.

I don't have a very complicated backup set...5 cartridges make it up.
  • Shareware/freeware programs
  • Drivers
  • Folders and registry setting that I carry from one Windows installation to the next
  • Arcade emulation ROMs
  • Miscellaneous

Also, the update patches for games. The .ini files for how I have the controls set up, save-games, etc.

The reason I like the ZIP drive so much is because it requires no drivers to operate in Windows, and no third party software like a CDRW. A lot of people aren't fond of them but my setup has worked great for me.

It is too bad the Castlewood Orb drive turned out to be such a POS; that one had the potential to have been great if it were better engineered.

--Steve

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
If this were Tony speaking it would go something like this (Mercutio's version isn't quite to the point):

1) Pick up iOmega Zip™ drive
2) Walk over to trash can
3) Lift trash can cover
4) Deposit iOmege Zip™ drive inside trash can
5) Replace lid

On the other hand, I've never had any of my three 5 year old (or more) disks die on me, they have always worked perfectly and (for the first two years) were used very intensively.

And yes clocker, they can be made bootable.