How come dept

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
How come when I use a picture as my screen saver, the OS can make the picture as big as the screen and still look good, but when I try to enlarge the picture to print it, it looks like shit?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Screens (75-100dpi) are typically much lower resolution devices than printers (300-600 dpi) so when enlarging, the computer does not have to interpolate nearly as many pixels on a screen than on a printer.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Why is it easier to extract content from an ipod touch (no "use as hard drive" option) using Linux than either Windows or OSX? Yes, even with itunes.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The screen has low, red resolution with hard edges.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
There are also options that can be used to improve quality of the blown up pic: things like resample (using algorithms like Lanczos) instead of resize. Apart from the reasons others mentioned above, maybe Windows does a resample instead of a plain resize.

Next time, try to blow up the pic to the desired size on the PC itself using resample, and then send it to the printer.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Why is it easier to extract content from an ipod touch (no "use as hard drive" option) using Linux than either Windows or OSX? Yes, even with itunes.

In case you haven't read Jobs biography, before they knew about gorilla glass they briefly considered using the clicking scroll wheel from the iPod. I think we can all be thankful for that decision.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The same customer who gave me a hardbound, signed by the author copy of the Jobs biography last December gave me a Chia Romney this year. They are being used as stands for my busts of Lenin and Marx, respectively.