How do you remove a Pentium II CPU cooler (delicately)?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Yes, a real Slot 1 Pentium II. The currently installed CPU cooler has a dead fan, and I can't figure out how to get the heat sink off. It seems to be connected somehow via steel posts that are completely flush with the main slab of the heat sink. Any clues?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Most pIIs had a metal slide on the back side that acted as a retained to hold the heatsink onto the front side of the processor. Simply slide the retainer over and pull the heat sink off the front carefully. (I have 2 this way infront of me now)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Hmm, yes I have a few of those types also. This one is different.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Hm, is this a retail cooler or aftermarket? I remember in our library of parts we had a coolermaster pII cooler that looked like it cliped onto the bottom (socket edge) of the processor somehow....

I cannot remember how the retail coolers with a fan actually attached as most of my pII/pIII slot CPUs were passive.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
It's one I picked up as surplus years ago. I don't know if it's a retail CPU or not, but the fan was so cheap (with no RPM sensor ... the lead from the motherboard connector had been chopped off) I can't think it would have been part of a retail package.

I can't figure this thing out. It's almost as if the thing has been epoxied on or something. I think it's an original SECC 1 cartridge if that helps. It has several holes on one side, and none on the other.