How many of these things can you remember?

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
  1. Candy cigarettes
  2. Coke-shaped bottles made of wax with colored sugar water inside
  3. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
  4. Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes
  5. Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum
  6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
  7. Party lines
  8. Newsreels before the movie
  9. P. F. Flyers
  10. Butch wax
  11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix
  12. Peashooters
  13. Howdy Doody
  14. 45 RPM Records
  15. Green Stamps
  16. Hi-fi's
  17. Metal ice cube trays with levers
  18. Mimeograph paper
  19. Blue flash bulbs
  20. Beanie and Cecil
  21. Roller skate keys
  22. Cork pop guns
  23. Drive-ins
  24. Studebakers
  25. Wash tub wringers
  26. The Fuller Brush man
  27. Reel-to-reel tape recorders
  28. Tinkertoys
  29. The Erector Set
  30. Lincoln Logs
  31. 15 cent McDonald's hamburgers
  32. 5 cent packs of baseball cards with pink bubblegum inside
  33. Penny candy
  34. 35 cent-a-gallon gasoline

The Giver

Learning Storage Performance
Too many. I recall McDonalds advertized the 47 cent meal of a hamburger, fries and a milk shake when they first appeared when I was 15. Believe it or not when I was a kid there was no such thing as "fast food".

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22, 23, 24, 27, 29.

Some of these are culture-specific and so don't apply to me; I grew up in another country.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com

Many of the items listed I was not able to partake of as a young lad, but I remember them just the same. Drive-ins really aren't that old or outdated, are they? The best thing about 45s is that they last - they've outlasted many cassette singles and all of my 8-track recordings. Peashooters were nice, but if you want to inflict pain, a straw, rubberband, and a toothpick makes a kid look like North Korea. :D

Dïscfärm

If #9 was a crappy form of canvas shoe (as we called 'em way back when) then... ALL OF THEM!

But, then again, I can remember back to when I was 1 ~ 1-1/2 years old without much problem.

Dïscfärm

Excuse me, NOT #8. But, I have seen them before. However, I believe newsclips at the beginning of motion picture films were already done with by the mid 1950s.

JSF

What is this storage?
All except 2, 9, 20, 21 and 31.

The consumer items in this group were not available in British Columbia when I was a child. My home town at this time did not have a MacDonalds Hamburgers.

Last September I gave to charity a working, electric, washing machine with wringers. It belonged to my aunt in B.C., who had recently died.

Joe.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I actually know where to buy candy cigarettes and wax "sodas". Those things are still around.

The $1 second-run theater in the town where I live appends a short-subject to every feature it shows. The old man who runs the place collects them. Go to the late night showing and it'll be something like a US Navy VD education film, but it can be anything from NFL films to newsclips from the Korean war to driver education movies. My favorites are the 50s-era shorts about dating and manners that get shown on Friday nights. :)

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
although this is obviously directed at our resident 'mercans; and despite the fact that I'm an Aussie in my early 30's, I thought I'd give it a go anyhoo.

4, 6, 17, 19, 22, 23, 27.

did I score well dad?

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Jake the Dog said:
did I score well dad?

You are funny. :) It's hard to tell what and how fast stuff makes it outside the states especially in enough quantity to be culturally signifigant. Oh, and TTBOMK among the respondents to this thread only Merc is younger than me, son.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
What's your point old man?

I'm a very crotchety 27. Ask anyone.

Actually the worst is finding out that most of my students have been working longer than I've been alive. Especially when I start referring to something that happened five years ago as "...in the old days". Dog years and Computer Years have a lot in common, I think, but it drives them nuts.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
time said:
How embarassing. Have we driven all the young whippersnappers away?

Twenty is certainly young, as is 30 and maybe even 40. Well, okay, maybe 40 isn't exactly young-young, but it sure isn't old by any means. Don't forget we have Tea, she is only 3 (if my memory is working properly).

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck said:
Twenty is certainly young, as is 30 and maybe even 40. Well, okay, maybe 40 isn't exactly young-young, but it sure isn't old by any means.

40 is still very young as far as I'm concerned. I turned 40 this past November 30 and frankly, I still feel the same as I did in high school. I don't look much different either other than that my hair is slightly different now(a bit longer than it used to be and combed differently).

My mom's 64, my dad's 68. I don't think of my mom as old by any means. She still has hardly any gray. Until she needed hip replacement she could just about keep up with me walking, and I don't walk slow. She just had the second hip done, so once she gets out of rehab and heals a few months hopefully she'll be back to normal.

My dad's another story. He acts like the proverbial old fart, although he always did, even when he was younger than me. He could also stand to lose about 100 pounds. Carrying around that much extra weight will slow anyone down.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm having difficulty remembering (too old :wink:), Studebakers were notorius for something, weren't they? Failing gearboxes, I think. IIRC, chronic gearbox problems tarnished the company's otherwise stellar reputation and killed 'em off.

.Nut

The vast majority of that list is Americana, circa the 1960s.

Dïscfärm

blakerwry said:
How old are Black and white TV's? Anybody here currently own or ever own one?
You can still buy black-and-white (monochrome) television sets. I bought a new one just last year (RCA).

16-3004.jpg

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I was just wondering if full size B&W tv's were still around... I should have mentioned full size... however, even in the sub 13" catagory color seems to be more popular than B&W here in the midwest US....

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
How old are Black and white TV's? Anybody here currently own or ever own one?

We didn't get color until I think 1967 or thereabouts. I think it was the second season of Star Trek because it really was a big deal at the time for me to watch that show in color. Before that we had a huge B&W console with a 21" screen, I think. The thing broke quite a bit, too, and the picture quality was nothing to write home about by today's standards. I remember going with my father to use the tube testers in the local drug stores and buying replacements. TVs have come a long way. The one in my bedroom is 21 years old and still working well. In fact, I just opened the back last week and fixed the focus and a few other settings that you can't change with the dials on the side.

You can still buy small B&W TVs. They're around $20 or thereabouts right now. I have a 5" one in my work room downstairs. Unfortunately, my reception stinks since the WTC fell down. Damned terrorists.

Mickey

Cliptin said:
[*]Candy cigarettes
Yep. Elementary school.
[*]45 RPM Records
Had to wait till I got to college before I saw them, as my folks didn't have records in the house.
[*]Hi-fi's
Dad had a nice one.
[*]Mimeograph paper
If it's that stuff with purple printing, with that "ditto paper" smell that teachers handed out for homework, then yes.
[*]Drive-ins
Seen one, live near one, never been to one.
[*]Reel-to-reel tape recorders
Dad dug one out when cleaning house a while back.
[*]Tinkertoys
Used them in grad school for a robotics class.
[*]The Erector Set
Wanted a set, but they were too expensive. Got Lego instead.
[*]Lincoln Logs
Yep. Friend had them.
[*]5 cent packs of baseball cards with pink bubblegum inside
They were 25 cents when I was 5.
[*]Penny candy
They still existed, but the candy wasn't very good. :)