How much would you spend on 2x 36GB drives?

Handruin

Administrator
OK, I have to ask a vague question on purpose. I'm looking at a deal on Bens bargains (I'm sure you'll see my comments over there if you look) and I'm trying to make a decision on a new computer.

I've been planning for some time now to build a new machine. As many of you have given me info in the past, I'm back to be a pain once again. This time I see a Dell server with 2x 36GB 10K drives. The Drive brand isn't specified, but that doesn't matter to me right now. The fact is, the entire setup is $439 (Dell 1400SC w/free shipping) which includes a single CPU (dual capable) with a built in Adaptec dual channel SCSI controller (AIC-7889).

It comes with 2x 36GB 10K RPM drives. Now I'm seriously considering this only for a backup solution and possible web development work. I could put Windows 2K advanced server on the box (or linux) and run software RAID 1.

Eventually I will build the aditional computer to be used as a general purpose machine.

Am I blinded by a tempting deal? I never went with the other Dell server deal I mentioned some time ago. Should I come back to reality and forget this machine?

Here are the complete specs

Handruin

Administrator
Tannin said:
It's a bargain. Buy it!

I'm very tempted... All those SF backups need a safer home. :) On a side note, I'm considering making copies of all my SF backup CD's and giving them to my folks to hold onto who live in another state.

Handruin

Administrator
blakerwry said:
sounds like a good deal to me... but you'd need to add a sound card and maybe a vid card for more typical uses...

Nah, I don't want it for sound and video, just as a file server and HTML/FTP server (and FAH cruncher). I know what the machine is built for and it isn't multimedia. I plan to build another machine where I will add better sound and video so that I don't need to expand this Dell if I get it.

I just read that I can get another 5% off of the price making the grand total around $412 USD. I'll let comments come in on bens bargains for another day and then possibly buy it.

Handruin

Administrator
Cliptin said:
If you need additional space, you can put some on my RAID1. How much space do you need?

I need about 50 GB to rotate my backups. :)

honold

Storage is cool
the 1400sc is a good server - this is a good deal, but nothing i haven't seen before. if you pass now, you will be given another opportunity.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
If my CC wasn't in such critical condition I'd probably get one myself. Just the cost of two 36GB 10K drives is approaching the price of the complete machine. Actually the next model in the the server line looks good too, with dual gigabit Ethernet, and hot swap drives.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Well, I'm giving serious consideration to uninstalling my 36GB Atlas 10K II and replacing it with a 120-200GB 7200 RPM IDE drive. The Atlas is my current data drive & while it's sufficient for my current data needs, I'll need more space in January or thereabouts. A friend is writing an MP3 collection manager and once it's in beta I'll start converting my CDs to MP3s for home use.

So I may have a 10K II for sale in a couple of months.

The prices (w/rebates) on it's replacement IDE drive are getting more & more tempting. 7200RPM 200GB 8MB cache for $220 after rebate at Best Buy; 7200RPM 120GB 2MB for $100 at CompUSA. Still, I'll wait to buy until I need it as they will likely get even cheaper.

- Fushigi