How to clone an NT drive?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Just a quickie - what's the best and easiest way to clone a drive for a system running Win NT? I need to do this right away (well, OK, after I go to bed, get up, shower, and drive to the office), so I don't have time to order software and wait for it to arrive or anything, just have to clone an NT install on a 4GB drive onto a 20GB drive to go back into that same machine. I probably have an OEM copy of Ghost around somewhere, if that's any help.

Thankz guyz!

PS: we have to do six more of them sometime soon (maybe later this week). Some might be running W2K if it makes any difference.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Use a recent version of ghost. 6.5 or 7 at least. Older versions aren't compatible with newGhost as usual. You might consider using 650MB chunks (it's in the options somewhere) and dropping the resulting files on CDs, just for a slight reduction in pain-factor.

Anyway, once you've ghosted, you'll need to run ghstwalk.exe. Ghostwalk comes with a full version of Ghost, but it fixes the SIDs on your NT machice

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Tea said:
...just have to clone an NT install on a 4GB drive onto a 20GB drive to go back into that same machine.

You don't have to change the SIDs in this instance. Just be careful when you choose the source and destination drives. Be sure you've picked the right ones. With drives of such disparate sizes you shouldn't have a problem.

I would also think that since you are not intending to keep the images as images you should be safe using an older version of ghost just so long as it officially supports the filesystem (NTFS/NTFS5).

Handruin

Administrator
I've used 5.0 and 5.1 for ghosting a win NT system. I haven't done a clone, but rather an image.

In your situation, you may have to ghost from (source) local disk to (target) partition, not local disk to disk; and here is my reasoning.

If you use ghost's option to go from disk to disk, you will in a sense turn your 20GB drive into the 4GB drive. You could create a second partition, but that defeats your goal if you need one drive, 20GB in size.

The trouble with me telling you this is that it potentially may not work. I vaguely remember doing this in the past, but I can't say for absolute certainty.

Worst case is that you have to zero fill the 20GB drive and try again.

Well, as I was typing this, I went ahead and RTFM. ;) This is what I found:

Ghost displays a suggested partition layout for the target disk to
confirm destination drive details.
By default Ghost allocates any extra space that the new disk has to
the first FAT or NTFS partition that it discovers.
You can change the size of any target FAT or NTFS partition at this
stage simply by entering the new size in megabytes.
You cannot enter a value that either exceeds the available space or
that is not large enough to contain the data held in the source
partition.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I would certainly apply at least SP4 to the NT installation before imaging. Previous service packs can not work with as large a system partition as I suspect Ghost will allow. In any case you should be safe with 4 or above.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Or, with Partition Magic, copy the partition to the new drive, make it active, enlarge it to the size desired. You can buy it online from PowerQuest, download it, and use it immediately.

I've never actually used Ghost, but have been a user of PM since version 3. Version 8 is the most current.

- Fushigi

James

Storage is cool
One other small point : if you're running NT4, be very careful where your files end up. If the critical system files end up being beyond the ~8GB point on the disk (especially happens if you add some big new files, then install a service pack), NT won't boot.

If you have Partition Magic lying around, it might be worth making a 6 or so GB primary partition for OS and applications and leave the remainder for data. Then restore to the new 6Gb partition.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm probably out of touch here, but don't you need the Pro version of PM 8 to copy partition images?

DriveImage or DriveCopy (also from PowerQuest) are designed explicitly for this. Tea, you should have received copies of DriveImage (PQDI) with various Soltek motherboards. It's a reliable program.

Also, Ghost up to 5.1c at least was still prone to incomplete copies (fixed in 5.1d, apparently).

I just checked an Epox motherboard CD dated February 2002, and it includes Ghost 7.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
time said:
I'm probably out of touch here, but don't you need the Pro version of PM 8 to copy partition images?
I've been copying partitions from drive to drive using PM non-Pro for years. That's the reason I bought V3 in the first place. That, and the ability to convert HPFS to FAT32.

Never a problem with copying boot partitions, resizing partitions, changing cluster sizes, etc. My biggest compaint is speed .. PM is not the fastest app around. But it seems to err on the side of caution, so I can forgive a performance hit.

I've used it on FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, and HPFS on both SCSI & IDE disks.

Start PM. Use it to delete and existing partitions on the new drive. Drag the partition from the old drive to the new drive. Resize it to whatever you want. Set the new partition active so it'll be bootable. Click Apply and walk away for a little bit.

- Fushigi

Mercutio

IIRC, PQMagic version 3 supports drives only up to some obnoxiously small size, like 32GB. Maybe it's time to upgrade?

The products are good for different things. I think ghost generally operates fast, but I can get a smaller file from PQDI's "High" compression. I've had fewer problems with PQDI, but ghost does a lot more neat stuff out of the box (USB drive support). Drive Image is way easier for newbies to use. Can't overlook that part.

I still tend to use ghost. More people have heard of it, so I feel safer leaving a 4GB image file with a .GHO extension on a disk drive, than a .PQI.

Mercutio

Cliptin said:
I think Tea might have lost interest. Spotted something shiny I think.

Or perhaps she found that banana DB's been hiding from her.

Also, that should be "PQ Drive Image" in the first line of my previous post.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Not all Clippy. Just had to race off to the office and deal with 1,679 queries over the counter, closely followed by 1,898 phone callz. No Ztorage Foruming for lunch either. I don't exactly spot anything shiny, but it was a beautiful day and when Kristi mentioned the magic words "shop" and "ice cream" ... that ws lunch.

Then a busy afternoon to match. I didn't get to do anything in between those other thingz bar (a) read six replies here very quickly before work in the morning, (b) notice the mention of Drive Copy and remember that I always used to like using that on back in ... version 2.0 days, I think it was - about 1996 because it had the capacity to deal with FAT32 in theory but couldn't do it in practice but it didn't really matter because nobody used FAT32 to speak of, (c) take a look via Google at the current version of Drive Copy (because last time I used Ghost it was very unfriendly and time conzuming and you had to frig about with special boot discs and two different EXEs, one to read and one to write), (d) figure that $49.95 US was justifiable seeing as we are getting more ztupid people running Windowz XP to deal with and my favourite plain vanilla drag and drop no-special-software-required method doesn't work with the NT-based flavours of Windowz, (e) chech to make sure that, seeing I waz about to spend $100 of Tannin'z money, it really did do XP and discover that it does not, (f) decide not to buy Drive Copy after all, (g) go searching round the workshop to see what sort of Ghost versions were lying around on OEM disks, (h) find one on an Epox disc saying it was Version 7.0 (from memory, might have been some other number - I'm better at bananas than numbers), (i) read the documentation, skipping all the big wordz, (j) set the machine up ready for the transfer and think about the possibility that I might have trouble with service packs (as per Fugshui's comment), (k) fire it up and discover that I needed a password to log on as admin, (l) call the government department that owns it and get the password, (j) decided that it was probably SP 6 anyway (for no particular reason, just that I couldn't remember how to tell and I felt lucky), (m) deal with the afforementioned 1,679 queries and 1,898 phone callz, (n) have ice cream for lunch, (o) deal with a mere 579 enquiries and 493 phone callz after lunch (thinking fondly of shiny things and ice cream all the time), (p) answer phone call #494, which was from the department who owns the machine asking if it was ready yet, (q) boot off floppy and figure out from the interface that Ghost 7 is so vastly improved over those stupid, difficult earlier versions I used last that this would be a piece of cake, (r) tell it to clone the exiting structure over to the new drive more or less unchanged - a 2GB FAT boot partition and a 2GB NTFS data partition became a 4GB, 64k sector FAT partition and a larger data partition on the 20GB drive, (s) wonder if I could get the "c" partition any bigger and decide that, short of a reinstall, I couldn't and 4GB would have to do, (t) tell it to copy, (u) put the kettle on for a well-earned cup of tea, (v) glance at the machine five minutes later and discover that it had finished already, (w) make the tea, (x) swap the drives over, (y) bolt the lid on, and (z) drink the tea.

Pretty normal day, really.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Sorry to be pedantic, but I believe you meant abecedarian. (Af first, I just thought you made up the word, with "abced" as a typo of "abcde".)

Mercutio

Yes, that is correct. And I do know how to spell it. I just didn't, that time.
The definition, of course, is "a person who arranges things according to the alphabet".

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Mercutio said:
Yes, that is correct. And I do know how to spell it. I just didn't, that time.
The definition, of course, is "a person who arranges things according to the alphabet".

Ah, I see what you mean. I had selected the other definition; but of course you did not use it as a noun.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I'm glad ghost 7 worked for you... it seems so many people are having problems cloning drives successfully in winNT based OS's.... I THINK what they are forgetting is to

1) copy the MBR (in ghost this equates to copying the drive vs just a partition) and...

2) put the cloned drive in the same position as the original so that everything points to the correct location.