How to email webpage with pictures

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Wasn't sure if this would be best in the tech support or general area, but since I thought this would spill into multiple topics I thought it should go here.

Recently for my home search and research I've needed to email webpages that contain pictures. What's the easiest way to do this? I can email the .htm and the image files, but for the less advanced users I'm afraid this might be too complicated/time-consuming. I guess I could make them into .pdfs, but those aren't easily editable which is nice for what I'm doing. Do you guys have a simple solution?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
IE supports saving the entire contents of a web page into some weird IE-only format that I presume you could deal with later.

You could also paste stuff into a .RTF. You'f lose some formatting, though.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
IE supports saving the entire contents of a web page into some weird IE-only format that I presume you could deal with later.

You could also paste stuff into a .RTF. You'f lose some formatting, though.
Well, IE-only would work fine most likely for the research part, but I pretty much don't allow my wife to use IE, and I only use it under very specific circumstances, usually involving me in a biohazard suit.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I usually can't just send a link because the page is frequently within my password protected account or requires some sort of login that I don't want to deal with. Thanks for the FF links - I'll check them out.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
If FireFox, right-click the page (or File menu) and do Save Page As. You get the .HTML file and a directory of the same name which contains all of the embedded content.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
If FireFox, right-click the page (or File menu) and do Save Page As. You get the .HTML file and a directory of the same name which contains all of the embedded content.
That directory is what buggs me. I work with some people who can't be bothered to figure that part out.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I would say your best bet would be to save from IE and choose type: Web Archive, single file. Anyone with IE would be able to open this.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Take the HTML & the directory, put them in a compressed folder aka zip & email that. Tell the people to double-click the zip then double click the HTML.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Take the HTML & the directory, put them in a compressed folder aka zip & email that. Tell the people to double-click the zip then double click the HTML.

Unless they extract it first, none of the other files will show up (images, css, etc).

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I guess I could make them into .pdfs, but those aren't easily editable which is nice for what I'm doing.

This is what I usually do. And I edit PDFs all the time, and it's certainly not difficult.

Maybe knowing what you're trying to accomplish would be helpful.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Here's one scenario:

I'm submitting multiple abstracts through a web page for a conference. The abstracts contain various text and an image (.jpg). I want to be able to email the text in its entirety, which also contains the author information, credentials, institution info, contact info, etc. I could copy and paste all of that back into MS Word, with the jpg, but the document that we've been doing most of the editing in up till now contains much much more than just the abstract, and people will get confused as to what they're supposed to be editing, since different parts look very similar. I could put it into a new Word document, but then I end up with multiple Word documents, something I've been trying to avoid. I don't want my collaborators to have to open multiple documents, as this increases confusion.

I don't think there's one perfect solution to this, other than my collaborators not trying to critique and edit the abstracts while seeing patients.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Sounds like a perfect scenario for that software I helped write and am on the patent for. Essentially it allows collaborative editing of a word document. It allows you to section the word document up and let other people edit or suggest alternative versions.

Maybe you want to try it out? Maybe I could put you in contact with the professor who owns it? He was looking for beta users.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Will,
While I'd be interested in seeing it, I'm not sure if my collaborators would appreciate using beta software. Especially right now, when we're up against a deadline.

What would make my life easier is if I could easily insert chapter headings and a table of contents so somebody could just jump to page 22 of 56. Even just scrolling around in Word becomes difficult when I append our data output, and it's just 90 or so pages. At least in Excel I can do tabs and label the tabs. Does anything like this exist in Word? It would also be nice if I could insert sticky notes. The collaborative tools in Word are so-so, but usually I just insert comments in brackets and highlight them in bright yellow.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I'm not that great of a word power user. Sure I know the vba model but I don't actually produce very many documents in word. For word help I was a Microsoft MVP though. And they have a website with lots of information about word. http://word.mvps.org/

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Will,
While I'd be interested in seeing it, I'm not sure if my collaborators would appreciate using beta software. Especially right now, when we're up against a deadline.

What would make my life easier is if I could easily insert chapter headings and a table of contents so somebody could just jump to page 22 of 56. Even just scrolling around in Word becomes difficult when I append our data output, and it's just 90 or so pages. At least in Excel I can do tabs and label the tabs. Does anything like this exist in Word? It would also be nice if I could insert sticky notes. The collaborative tools in Word are so-so, but usually I just insert comments in brackets and highlight them in bright yellow.

You should be able to make a table of contents where you can click on the section and it will take you to the appropriate page. Office 07 may have sticky notes.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
You can also Insert - Bookmark to put bookmarks wherever desired. You reference them as links a la HTML: Create some text, select it, Insert - Hyperlink, and select Place in this Document for the list of bookmarks.

You can also turn on Markup view and Insert - Comments. Not as good as real sticky notes, though.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
If you had easily identifiable section headings Word could auto-create an inex/table of contents based on the section headings. I did this once many years ago.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
As long as these people are reviewing, marking-up, or proof-reading the documents and not extensively editing them, it seems to me that Adobe Acrobat will do what you want. I only use Acrobat's commenting tools in a limited fashion, but I know that the reviewers don't even need the full version of Acrobat to mark-up the PDFs.

If you have access to Acrobat, you should certainly check its abilities out, and see if they meet your needs.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
For the moment I've resorted to emailing Word .doc's and only including the abstracts that are due soon and not all the supporting details.