How to get rid of "about:blank" hijacking my sear

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
NOT FUNNY :excl:

The only solution I've found is reinstalling XP, and, I'm currently comparing the merits of a 450 Nitro Express, No 2 2150 with 480 grains, and 375 H&H, while contemplating reinstalling windows. I'll let you connect the dots...
s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The only reason I can type this is another computer on the network is not requiring reinstalling XP to get rid of a f....g adware bug. The funny part is both Spybot and adware see this one, delete it,and it still steals my default homepage...

s

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
oH, MY GOD! It just dawned on me that about:blank is a pos msft website.

I want the Missouri targeted at MSFT, asap...

s

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The Missouri is in Hawaii. That's a little long even for those big guns.

Maybe the New Jersey as I think it's in Oregan or Washington state.

Ahhh.....nothing like the sight of a 2000lb projectile whistling though the air.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Check that.......The New Jersey is now in New Jersey.

How about the Mississippi?

Bozo :mrgrn:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hmmm. To be accurate, I think it's 2700 pounds of HE with a range of 20 miles. I guess they have a little spotter plane they use. In the middle east, they would see the spotter plane, and start waving white flags.
Guess going to Allah via 16" high explosive rounds wasn't what they have in mind...
I had a bunch of JAVA bugs, that I finally got rid of. However, I've got a Generic_408 on the other computer mbr that I can't get rid of.

:blue:

The good news is I was preparing to add my other drive back in Monday, so I have everything backed up to another drive, and it was easy to
reinstall XP, transfer cookies, and favorites, etc. from the XL 18.

s

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
Santilli said:
The only solution I've found is reinstalling XP,...

You don't have to do anything of the such.

These spyware programs are simply running as services or have a persistence that can be overcome within a couple of minutes followed by a re-boot.

Most of these spywares live in some recognisable folder below C:\Program Files\Common Files. After running un-install routines (which rarely work, but still need to be done a Step #1) ), those files in the spyware folder (or folders) have to be manually deleted. The ones that won't delete are running as background services. To disable them, all references to those files have to be deleted in the registry (also look in the Startup Folders for shortcuts to spyware).

I've had 100% success in ridding stubborn spyware using these relatively simple steps outlined above. These were all on pother people's computers, not mine. I have yet to have a spyware problem only because I don't visit websites that probably have such crapola, and, on the few occasions where I've had some "Make This My Default Page" or message to allow installation of some whatever ActiveX or Java module, I avoid like the plague (probably because it IS The Plague!). In other words, I practice safe surfing.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio:

I just got the X15 with the click replaced by Seagate. The reinstall wasn't due to the java stuff, it was due to installing the last of 4 drives, so I have my boot raid back in place.

The other computer I decided to install 98se on, and, I did manage to delete the MBR ftom the disk, and did a FDISK, Format, and reinstall..

I'm using that as my email machine/game machine.

s