How to print unprintable PDFs

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a few PDFs that I downloaded which I need to print so I can read them. My screen is too small to make reading a 20+ page document comfortable, and I want to have a paper copy for easy reference when I'm away from my machine anyway. The problem is whoever created these decided not to allow print permissions. Is there anything out there that can let me print these? Please note this is solely for my own personal use. I have no nefarious intentions here. If anybody knows how but doesn't wish to state it publicly then PM me.

P.S. I wouldn't even think of asking about this on SR. I don't feel like ending up with all the IP and DRM Nazis, as well as the music industry apologists, on my back. Sadly, this is where something like this would inevitably lead over there.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The program in the link works, but since it's a demo it only converts the first 10% of pages and substitutes blanks for the rest so I'm back to square one. To buy the program is $60. :eek: Are these people nuts or what? $60 for something I'll use maybe 5 times in my life? It's only a very small percentage of pdfs that restrict print permissions. I just don't understand how people figure software pricing these days. For $3 a small program like this would get loads of takers, me included. But for $60 I doubt they'll get any more than a handful. Seems like they could make more selling it for $3 than $60.

BTW, what happened in that thread to the poor person who asked about this is exactly what I thought would happen over there. You ask an innocent question and then the holier than thou DMCA apologists jump in and lecture you on stealing, copyrights, and so forth. :roll: All that nonsense just because someone asked about printing a pdf.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
can you print screen and then paste into an imaging program?

have you tried linux PDF viewers?

can you copy and paste the text into a word processing program?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Text selection is also disabled or I would have tried that. I also tried print screening but my monitor only goes to 1024x768 so the result is practically unreadable(which is the reason why I wanted to print these pdfs in the first place). Magnifying and reading in Adobe reader is annoying to say the least. There's too much scrolling around to make reading enjoyable.

Why on earth do people disable print permissions anyway? Maybe I can see a school doing it on something distributed in class so their students don't waste paper printing it on the school printers but other than that I don't get it.

I just downloaded Ghostview. Maybe that'll work.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
BTW Blake your avatar hasn't been showing up the last few days. IE tries to download the image for a while and then just gives up. No red x there, just a blank as if you don't have an avatar.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Ghostview 4.4(which requires Ghostscript 8 to be installed) displays and prints the pdfs just fine. Ghostview and Ghostscript can both be obtained here in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. :D

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
yeah, im getting new carpet... my room is empty and my server off.. in th box.. in the basement...

I'm moving on Friday/sat and don't have any internet service plans as of yet so my avatar will need to be hosted somewhere else. I'll get around to it.. sorry if it's sloing page loading.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
jtr1962,

Have you got a link where I can download these pdfs from? I have a password recovery program I bought which I can use for you. Or if they are smallish you can email me the files at;

res0hopz@verizon.net

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Never mind. I just read you post where you solved the problem.