How to share an internet connection from a dial-up modem.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Under Winblows. I know Tannin has a similar setup. Modems are not really my cup of Tea. There must be something with ICS (which I don't remember how to configure).

The setup (not mine) consist in 2 Winblows computers (Win 98SE on one and probably another Win9X on the other), each with its own NIC and only one of them with a dial-up connection. I'm not in the mood to search the answer through Google's results. Please feed me.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Go to the properties for the dial-up connection and the last tab should say sharing. Click it. Then click the check box where it says share this connection. Your NIC in the computer with the dialup connection will start serving DNS numbers to any computers on the network. So set any other computer on the network to obtain an IP and DNS automatically.

You should be all set.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Make sure that under the Networking tab for the dial up connection, that "File and Printer Sharing" and "Client for MS networks" are unticked - leaving only TCP/IP ticked.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Some service providers require you to have client for ms networks checked or they won't work properly.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Enabling ICS on W2K, I got a message saying that it needed to reset my NIC's IP to 192... I let it and then set it back to my normal settings afterwards with no ill affects.

Setup: Win2K Pro on system with modem. Ether to SMC Barricade wireless + hub. Wireless to other PC running W98 1st ed.

Since no DSL/cable net access is available to me & satellite start-up costs are too high (and they will no longer do 2nd story roof installs of the dish), I had to fall back to dialup. Why are there no DSL repeaters for where CO's don't exist?

- Fushigi