Howto: cleaning your keyboard

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I found this site a year or two ago. It is a decently well written guide to cleaning a keyboard.

http://www.computing.net/howto/simple/keyboard/

I have found it works wonders for sticky keys due to soda spillage... plus it will make an old dirty keyboard look like new. (Great for buying used keyboards at garage sales for $1 and restoring them)

Fomr my experience, the best method of cleaning keys is to soak them in a mixture of about 2 cups HOT water and 2 tablespoons of dishwasher detergent (not soap) for about 30 minutes (the time it takes to clean the keyboard body)

Also, don't skimp on the lubricant, you definately want a PTFE lubricant such as the SuperLube. You could probably replace the factory yellow grease(often found on enter key and space bars) with a teflon based grease made for fishing reels.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
For the cotton swabs, it would probably be wise to use lint-free swabs so no fiberous material is left behind. Cotton swabs, eg Q-Tips, shed lint.

Also, try to find the 90+% alcohol instead of the 70% (more common) variety. The purer the alcohol the less residue is left behind.

- Fushigi

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
yufs0228.jpg

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Mercutio said:
I put mine in the dishwasher with just a little detergent. Works great.

I hope you're being facetious....

Buck said:
Sell the customer a new keyboard.
restoring them for myself...

I dont mind cleaning.. sometimes I rather enjoy it as long as I'm restoring something... like a car... rifle.... little projects.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Actually, I'm serious.

Dishwasher with a little detergent, in the top rack by itself, and let it dry for a day or two. I did it to the Logitech USB model I'm using right now, after I spilled milk in it.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I have spilt liquids into keyboards before (mainly milk or water.. sometimes soda) After the board dries though it usually is fine except for the occasional sticky key if I spilt soda. That is the only reason why i did not completely disregard your comment as a jest.

I guess the dishwasher would not lubricate the keys but it would probably get most of the crud out along with stains/dingyness on the keys. Plus it's very easy.... you could do atleast 10 keyboards in 1/2 hour or so.