HTML

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Is there a way to make HTML appear like the PHPBB code tag makes text appear? If you examine my PERL thread; i need to turn my last post into a web page and I know as much about HTML as PERL. :)

Handruin

Administrator
sam is a good guy. I bought a FAQ tool from him and never used it. :)

http://www.samscripts.com/scripts/bbtags

I tried to implement his class into our news system, but it have quite a negative effect, so I took it out. It's not his code, it's the incompatibility between the two pieces of code.

Let me know if you need some space to run the php.

Handruin

Administrator
I know you want to turn the last bit of your perl code into HTML, but I don't understand what it is supposed top print to the screen.

Do you just want the perl code to be displayed, or is there some type of information that will get printed?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Try something like this:
Code:
<body bgcolor="#000044" text="white">
<font face="Arial">

asdfasdf

[b]Code:[/b]

<SPAN style="{position: relative; left: 0.25 in; color: gold; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px; border-color: lightblue; padding: 10 px}"> 

this stuff between SPAN tags should look similar to a phpbb code tag depending on theme... 

Simply modify the colors to your liking

</SPAN>

asfsadfads
</body>

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I think I may not have been explicit enough.

The best feature of the phpbb code tag is that whatever formatting you type in (spacing included) that's was you get back. I don't care about the coloring.

I haven't tried yours yet blake. I'm still trying to figure out how to use it.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I want to contribute the code I fixed back to other users and people need to be able to read it as code.

SteveC

Storage is cool
I think what you want is the <pre> tag. Anything withing the <pre> </pre> will be monospaced, and formatted just like it is typed, including white space and line breaks.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
doh! i completely missed the point... yes the <pre> tag is exactly what you want.. of course you could throw in my CSS to get the desired cutsie extras :wink:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
BTW, I looked through the old thread Prof.Wizard started and although I installed all/most of the tools meantioned none could beat Arachnophilia. It will not generate a complete page for you but it will get you started.

Handruin

Administrator
Yeah, I had completely missed the point too, sorry Howell. I thought you were looking for a way to use the style tags for bolding and italics.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
:-? I might try to be more clear next time. It's tough to tell people what you mean when you yourself don't know what you are talking about. :oops: Gotta learn sometime though, right.

Handruin

Administrator
I wasn't implying anything, just that I thought I was helping when in fact I wasn't even close. :) I've been searching for a script that would color code your perl. I know something like this has to exist, but I can't find it.

This way, the perl code would be colored so that it looks something like this:

http://www.samscripts.com/viewfile.php?fileid=18

I'll ask if you are interested?