I have a headache!

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I guess I'm a conspiracy theorist when it comes to Microsoft and computers in general. Now I add Acronis TrueImage to my list of suspect applications.

Today I went over to my sister's house to get a drive that I put in their computer for temporary while they transitioned from Windows ME to XP (not sure whether to giggle or cry every time I think of Windows ME. I usually just do a little of both. Heh). I planned to use Acronis TrueImage 8.0 (bootable CD) to image the temporary drive to their old WinME drive.

Well, I was going to do a straight clone, but had a problem: TrueImage refused to clone the drive without "clearing" the source drive. Why?? I can't figure that one out. I'm not a criminal! Obviously I didn't want to do THAT, because if there was a problem, then it would be a very *big* problem.

So I decided to make an image file of the temp drive on their old drive. That went seemingly okay, though it took a while. After booting back into Windows, I copied the image files (2) to the temporary drive, and proceeded to reboot the computer into Acronis. Started Acronis imaging the old drive from the .tib files, and after a few minutes got a message that the "archive is corrupted." A couple more tries and I gave up and went home. I didn't want to spend another hour trying to figure it out. Grr!

I guess I learned my lesson. Next time I'll just break out the trusty old Ghost floppy disk.

P.S. The only reason I started using Acronis was because it kept my Linux bootloader intact. Is there another imaging/ghosting/cloning solution that would keep GRUB in one piece?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ghost will also preserve a bootloader. I have a lab of machines that have grub installed, and I restore their 1st partition (the Windows partition) at least weekly without losing my boot loader.

Acronis works while Windows is running. It's wonderful for backing up machines that need to stay online or users who would be scared of running Ghost. But for what you wanted, it wasn't the right tool for the job.

That's all.

RWIndiana

You must have a better version of Ghost than I (I have 2003), because my bootloader is broken every time. It's not too bad since I can just reload the bootloader, but it's an annoyance.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm using 2003. Are you trying to load the entire disk or just a partition. I'm just doing partitions.

RWIndiana

Usually I do the entire disk, but I'll try doing partitions soon as I have time.
Thanks.