I have been blessed by HP...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Let's see: I'm blessed by HP because I've recently had enough of their products to never buy another. However, I didn't have to buy any of them to find this out.

At school we had a all in one printer the guy couldn't get to work with his 9.1 mac. Why not? HP only provided software for OSX.

I loaded the software on to my computer, Panasonic CF 51, and, it created some kind of start up message, that such and such was not approved, and would not function with windows, and, that HP was aware of the problem, but had not fixed it...In other words, they wrote garbage software, and didn't fix the bugs so it would work with XP.
Remove software.

Next: someone gave me a HP Pavilion se4600 laptop. It keeps giving me messages that tell me cables are bad, yet, the CD works, will install on a hard drive, but, I can't get into the bios to find out why the computer won't boot from anything I manage to install the software on.

I've concluded this is because I don't have drivers on the XP pro disk, nor on the 2003 Server disk I tried installing on it. It all installs on the drive, which I've replaced, and, both times the install went through, then computer doesn't boot.

Ubuntu 7.0 goes all the way through the startup sound, but, it seems to be missing a driver for either the screen, or the video chipset, or the motherboard chipset, so it doesn't work.
Going to try 8, right now.

I have been blessed because I will never own a computer that works like this one, EVER, and, I did get a working hard drive out of the thing...Very cool in Roswill external housing...

paugie

Storage is cool
yep, blessings are wherever you find them and how you look at things.

the family of one of my wife's friends was in a jeep which turned turtle around 2 weeks ago. The woman had a broken arm, the husband had a concussion and a large gash in his head and the 4 year old daughter had both a broken arm and quite severe head injuries.

so how would one look at that? curse that it could happen? (the father was drunk at the wheel) or say, whew, we could have died!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I think I've traced it to at least a defective CD drive in the laptop. Both Ubuntus fail to boot, and, the ram is tested, so, it should easily load into 192 mb of ram. Of course it could be something else on top of that...

I have just zero intrest in trying to sort out a computer with proprietary hardware. Reminds me of my all time favorite computer company:
Apple :throwup:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
paugie: I'd have to call the woman both crazy & negligent to get in a vehicle herself and also take along a 4 year old with a drunk driver.

Greg: Does Apple still support 9.1? If they do not then I wouldn't expect any ISVs or peripheral vendors to support it. If they do, then HP made the decision to not support older Mac OSes, probably with the reasoning that it was a small target audience.

I don't see the SE4600 on HP's site. There is a ZE4600 for which drivers, BIOS, etc. downloads are available. I'd probably start with that: A BIOS flash.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Fushigi, it's a friggin printer for chrissake! We are not talking weirdo, high-tech server-grade gear here, we are talking about an ordinary common or garden printer. Printers should work with anything. They are like cars: you get inside and turn the key, or (as the case may be) plug them in a print something. I'd forgive them for not having the fax or scanning functions coded, and forgive them if they delivered only a very basic set of functions sans their operating system of choice, but a well-designed printer operates with any computer that can manage any of the common, industry standard emulations such as, for example, HP Laserjet IV.

If HP can't manage to emulate a simple HP printer, then they are indeed as incompetent as we all know HP is.

(Where is Merc when you need him? Please insert the traditional Mercutio rant of your choice here.)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
"Greg: Does Apple still support 9.1? If they do not then I wouldn't expect any ISVs or peripheral vendors to support it. If they do, then HP made the decision to not support older Mac OSes, probably with the reasoning that it was a small target audience.

I don't see the SE4600 on HP's site. There is a ZE4600'"

Fushigi: It's actually a public school thing. For instance, in Mt. Diablo, Apple donated something like 4000 iMacs. They sat in wearhouses, for something like 2-3 years, since the wiring wasn't present in the schools for this number of computers. By the time they were installed, the OS was obselete, thanks to the OS of the week, ala Apple. Of course now, the iMacs don't have enough ram to run OS X, of any variation. Also, peripherals, like that all in one, new in box, are now worthless for the iMacs. It's sort of like the stupidity of putting Norton Anti-virus on OS 9.1...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
By the way, you have the right ZE4600 designation. It's on ebay already... It's NOT a Panasonic...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Fushigi: It's actually a public school thing. For instance, in Mt. Diablo, Apple donated something like 4000 iMacs. They sat in wearhouses, for something like 2-3 years, since the wiring wasn't present in the schools for this number of computers. By the time they were installed, the OS was obselete, thanks to the OS of the week, ala Apple. Of course now, the iMacs don't have enough ram to run OS X, of any variation. Also, peripherals, like that all in one, new in box, are now worthless for the iMacs. It's sort of like the stupidity of putting Norton Anti-virus on OS 9.1...

That is the fault of the school system, not Apple. Most computer products have a limited practical life. Everyone knows that.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That is the fault of the school system, not Apple. Most computer products have a limited practical life. Everyone knows that.

Actually, the two districts I know are just now moving from iMacs with 9.1, to Dells, with 2000...